ad: elecraft

Hustler 5btv Radials

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by K6BFL, Jun 12, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
  1. KA4DPO

KA4DPO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

It should work but if you ground mount it more radials will be better.

KC8VWM likes this.
  2. WF4W

WF4W Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

so, how did it work out for you on FD? How did you end up setting it up?

KC8VWM likes this.
  3. K6BFL

K6BFL Ham Member QRZ Page

I put it 4 ft high with 6 40m radials coming off of it and connected it to my radio. It had super high swr on everything. I was only getting out maybe 45 watts from the 100. I barly made any contacts. On a good day I could've made 350 QSos in 10 hours and instead I made 90 in 7 hours!!! It did not work very well. I am thinking of selling it to make a small portable (somewhat) beam. How did you do?

KC8VWM likes this.
  4. WF4W

WF4W Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

sorry to hear that - the 6btv does takes some effort in its initial tuning (i.e when you build it, what is the length between traps) -- i dont think you should sell it - it would be a good learning experience for you to fix the issues and make it work well.

My club did pretty good - we put on a big production. Personally, I think i made 200 CW contacts in about 4 hours. Wish I could have worked more but we had a lot of guys wanting to operate CW.

5. W4IOA

W4IOA Ham Member QRZ Page

/\/\/\
    Agreed. Tuning is a big part of setting up the Hustler. My experience is onced tuned, after 16 25' radials it begins to shine. Never thought of having to add 60 but I was plenty happy with 25 (ran out of steam). I mark all my antenna joints after tuning the length.

KA4DPO likes this.
  6. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I have 16 radials on my ground mounted 6BTV and it's doing better than the wire antenna it replaced. Even so, I know I need to at least double the number of radials. And when the weather cools off (whenever that is) I'm doing that very thing.

KA4DPO likes this.
  7. K6BFL

K6BFL Ham Member QRZ Page

I guess you are right. I will try to rebuild it. By the way I have a 5btv. I may also add more radials. Thanks for the help. 73

8. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Let me also add that I just did the spacing as indicated in the (DX Engineering version of) the manual and it was fine. All I had to adjust was the 80-meter whip section. ;)

W4IOA and KA4DPO like this.
  9. KG4WWH

KG4WWH Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi everyone,

Recent acquisition of a 6BTV from a SK. He had a great setup, all the parts needed (balun, radial plate, tilt mount....). Here is my situation, where I live currently has a HOA. If I can be stealth about it, I can (and have with GREAT compromise) gotten away with a little HF operating. installing the 6BTV in ANY form of "permanent" fashion is just asking for trouble.

my question may also assist the OP with his portable operations setup.

So, in reading about vertical antennas I have learned 2 major items:

a) Ground mounted should have MANY radials as long as practical, but a minimum of 20 feet and a minimum of 20 radials. ok, easy enough to grasp this concept...

b) elevated should have 3+ resonant per band. these should slope at (about) 45-degree angle.

*I have read that radials on an elevated antenna must be elevated as well. If they come to the ground and touch or run along the ground it will drastically change their impedance.

My thought was to take a 5-gallon bucket and put a pole into it... maybe concrete, maybe rocks... haven't decided yet... the pole would extend out the top of the bucked enough to support the antenna and have a couple inches additional for stability. in this configuration, I would mount the antenna on that pole and spread radials. I have considered placing the radial plate at the top of the bucket and treating it as if the top of the bucket was "ground level” ...

So, now that I have tried to transfer the image in my mind to words, it should be clear as mud!

Here is the technical question: at what elevation about the ground does the antenna become "elevated" relative to ground radials?

If I were to mount the antenna using the bucket idea above and place radials starting at the 18" - 2' (rough guess, but shouldn't exceed) elevation then along the ground in a ground mounted radial config, would this be efficient or would the minimal elevation from the bucket force the antenna and radials to display "elevated" characteristics?

In addition, I assume that re-tuning would have to be completed every time I set this up... having not set it up yet, is it even worth this level of aggravation? I am a renter and hope to buy in the next couple of years, I can promise that I won't live in a place that will restrict me from having antennas!!

Thanks to everyone for their support and I look forward to reading recommendations!

Adam

10. W4IOA

W4IOA Ham Member QRZ Page

Ground mount
    Tilt base
    Just put the radials on the ground.

These will just make life easier in the long run

KA0HCP likes this.