Hustler 5btv Radials

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by K6BFL, Jun 12, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
  1. KR2C

KR2C Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I forgot to mention.....

The radial length was about the total length of the antenna. 25'.

2. K6BFL

K6BFL Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks

3. K6BFL

Yeah. I got this from another ham and he had it set up and working but he pasted qay so i could not aks him how he set it up. 73 Thanks

4. K6BFL

ok I will also have to try that. Thanks

5. K6BFL

tthat is what I thought. I was just trying to piece what he said together.

6. KA4DPO

KA4DPO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

The Hustler manual for the BTV antennas says,

Concrete or No Concrete – That is THE Question

The original Hustler BTV installation manuals call for the ground mounting pipe to be driven into

the earth with the specific wording “Do not use concrete. Do not dig a hole and bury the mast. It

must be driven in.” The reason for this recommendation is so that installations with few or no

radials will be able to make use of the direct contact between the mounting pipe and the earth to

collect and distribute antenna currents.

Unfortunately, the soil and a steel pipe usually does not provide efficient RF conduction. Therefore,

the use of many ground radial wires are recommended for all quarter-wave ground mounted HF

antenna, to improve efficiency and performance dramatically.

Also, a driven or pounded pipe may be used on any ground-mounted vertical antenna installation,

regardless of the number of radials used.

DX Engineering recommends using a concrete base, as shown on page 9, when a high performance

installation with many radials is planned.
    The reasons that a concrete base is recommended:

1. It is easier to make sure that the mounting pipe is vertical when it is braced for installation

with concrete. Pounded pipes can develop a lean or hit a rock while being driven into the

ground, which could result in a leaning antenna.

2. A steel pipe or tube in concrete will last much longer than in soil, especially in certain types

of soil that will corrode steel more quickly.

3. Concrete is not an insulator for a steel pipe, as the hardened but moist concrete is a good

conductor from the steel to the soil for grounding purposes.

4. A ground surface wire radial system offers far more efficient means to collect and distribute

surface RF currents than a single pipe in the soil, so a pipe in concrete is okay when using

many radials.

7. WF4W

WF4W Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

fortunately, he's only using this for a temporary field day antenna so doesnt need to ponder more permanent mounting solutions. . .

My install has neither a pipe nor concrete - 4x4 wood post in the ground with many radials. Performs great! Perhaps the OP will see good performance and decide to mount it permanently at his home QTH

8. K6BFL

thanks. how many radials do you have 6 or 8

9. WF4W

WF4W Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

My permanent install has about 60 radials

10. KR2C

KR2C Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I use 10 radials for my Field Day installation.

For my home use, I have 60 radials.