Hustler 5btv Radials

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by K6BFL, Jun 12, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
  1. K6BFL

K6BFL Ham Member QRZ Page

ok. I just releazed That i forgot to add some contacts to my log and you are one off them from a few months ago. COOL!!!

2. WF4W

WF4W Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Ah, cool! Yep, you're one of my rare SSB contacts :)

3. K7MEM

K7MEM Ham Member QRZ Page

I have a 5BTV that I have been using for over 10 years. I have mine mounted at the top of a 18 foot section of 2 inch iron pipe (drill pipe). Like WF4W mentioned, because it's elevated, I use four tuned (~1/4 wavelength) radials per band (40, 20, 15, and 10 Meters). The radials slope down from the feed point and are configured like a fan dipole, with about 6 inches between each radial. The radials use wooden spreaders to keep them in line. I keep the antenna and the radials ends off the ground, so the horses and people don't get tangled. I don't deal with 80 meters, because a lightning strike exploded the 80 Meter resonator.

4. K6BFL

one last thing. I just looked up a 1/4 wavelngth of 80m. Is it really like 65 feet?

5. WF4W

yes. Maybe you just choose to not use 80m while portable and go with several 33ft radials? If i was doing it and just had to have 80m, I'd only put 2-3 66ft radials and several 33ft radials...

6. W5LZ

W5LZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Raising an antenna can cut down on the nuber of radials required. But can you do that raising in the parking/camping place you decide on? That can get sort of complicated. That means you need to get the whole mess above head height or somebody will 'accidentally' get caught in it. Paint it bright orange with blinking lights and someone will STILL get into it!
    The other "given" with radials on the ground or in the air is that more is better. At least one per band is a good idea. Three per band is a 'gooder' idea, etc, till it gets to a metal cloth of the right diameter for the lowest band of use. If you actually do that metal material thingy, please take pictures! Burying 'chicken wire' doesn't count, that's almost common, sort of.

I haven't read all the other responces so this is probably a 'dupe'. Oh well, doesn't hurt to repeat it...
    And lastly... the radial thingy applies to any vertical antenna, not just to a Hustler 5BTV.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2019
    K7WFM likes this.
  7. K6BFL

yeah that is what i did. I made 6 34ft 40m radials. thanks

8. K6BFL

thanks for the input. I will have to see at the campsite. :) 73

9. K6BFL

ok i tested out the antenna with my swr analyer with 6 40m radials. I found that the swr was 1:1 on all band including 80m except for 40m which was like 2:1. Did I do it right? Also my swr was pretty good without radials. Should I have 2 radials a band from 40m-10m?

10. WF4W

the 5btv is fairly narrow - is your swr 1:1 across the entire band or just in the area of the band in which you tuned the antenna?

I'd keep as many radials as you can b/c although it is 1:1 the radial field will enhance radiation/receive capabilities...