Hurricane Net - Hams are embarrasing

Discussion in 'Discussions, Opinions & Editorials' started by KY5U, Oct 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KY5U

KY5U Ham Member

Listening to the Hurricane Net for Sandy on 20M. All day they were seeking contacts from people in the path of the storm. All day peckerwood hams were calling from Nevada, Arizona, Texas, all over to "check in", all with no traffic. Some required relays to hear they were just peckerwoods trying to feel important in the middle of the freaking desert 1000 miles from water with no traffic. The net guy handled it well. I would have told them to go pi$$ up a rope. How did people get this self centered?

2. WA4KCN

WA4KCN XML Subscriber

Few radio amateurs call CQ today. Instead check into a net - any net.

3. K1FBI

K1FBI Ham Member

Some organization told them how IMPORTANT they were..I believe this started it: S 1040 - The Broadband for First Responders Act of 2011

Once Lieberman says you are so important you deserve your own spectrum, it has to go to your head.

4. KJ3N

KJ3N Ham Member

Ask the MMSN. What you describe sounds about par for the course with them as well.

5. KY5U

KY5U Ham Member

Thank goodness for level headed net controllers. I used up all my patience fixing up people that do dumb things to themselves. Like skate boarders, idiot hunters, MVA like people falling out of a pickup truck bed on their heads. Anyway, you guys are right. Somehow a guy in Nevada in the desert thinks he's relevant to a hurricane net on the east coast by "checking in" AKA a radio check.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2012
  6. W9OE

W9OE Ham Member

I think at this stage in the game they were just trying to iron out the wrinkles. I have listened to a few of these nets and that is a fairly common practice. I listened to one and they were asking for check ins by call district.

7. KY5U

KY5U Ham Member

I wish them well. They're trying to do something useful. I also learned that there is nothing noble that man does that can't be screwed up by a moron somewhere.

8. K7JBQ

K7JBQ Moderator

And how was his audio?:confused:

Bill

9. K7WFM

K7WFM Ham Member

I heard a few this afternoon checking in from 6 and 9 land via relay. D'bags.

10. KA1MDA

KA1MDA Ham Member

This is nothing new. It stems from the "If I'm not talking, I'm not helping" mentality. I remember back in the mid 1980's... there was a severe weather net in progress on the local 2 meter repeater, and it went like this (no, I am not making this up- 100% true):

The net control station put out a call for severe weather reports (hail, high winds, downed trees and/or power lines, torrential rain) ONLY.
    A station responds with their call.
    The net control station tells the station to go ahead with their report.
    The station responds with "Three helicopters from the local airport just flew over my house."

11. N6MEJ

N6MEJ Ham Member

Is there a specific season for idiot hunters or is it a year round sport?:)

12. KA9MOT

KA9MOT Ham Member

Open Season, year round. You can legally bag 2 if using Bow. The taste wonderful baked on Wild Rice with a Creamy Basil Sauce.

13. KF6ABU

KF6ABU Ham Member

It's funny when you make fun of people who checked in becuase they wanted to feel important, and somehow you think a "hurricane net", and yourself... are.

14. N6MEJ

N6MEJ Ham Member

Last edited: Oct 27, 2012
  15. G8ADD

G8ADD Ham Member

Hey, that's a good one! Is it original to you?

Brian G8ADD

16. K0MB

K0MB XML Subscriber

Ever been to a hamfest? You can see the answer all around you!

17. N6MEJ

N6MEJ Ham Member

so then, all hams are morons?

18. KT7DAD

KT7DAD Ham Member

Everybody but me........

19. K7WFM

K7WFM Ham Member

20. N6MEJ

N6MEJ Ham Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.