ad: MLSons-1

Hurricane Irma, Surviving The Storm, HAM RADIO!

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KJ4YZI, Sep 17, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. NN6EE

NN6EE Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

W4HM,
    Even "TRANSPLANTS" SHOULD KNOW BETTER then NOT TO HEED STORM-WARNINGS!!!

2. K1VSK

K1VSK Ham Member QRZ Page

While the OP's video is a good primer for those who may not already know how to prepare, it fails on the reality front in terms of the lack of utility of ham radio.

Here in Florida, we have the dubious honor of the most educated and experienced set of both public and private first response agencies. At the local level, many including our community have an active and well trained CERT ( community emergency response team). However, as evidence ham radio is virtually useless, I found out the CERT has nothing more than FRS hand helds with which to communicate and they don't even know the frequency on which I could communicate with them on.

I've come to the conclusion the best use of a radio in an emergency is to prop up a sliding window.

AK5B likes this.
  3. KM1H

KM1H Ham Member QRZ Page

And yet the ARRL keeps perpetuating the myth that most hams are actually more than just a hindrance on site during a real emergency. At around 75oK licenses the growth rate exceeds population growth and the majority have about as much technical/communicating ability as CBers and it all started when CW ability was dropped in 2007.

Now the ARRL is even trying to make it easier to get licensed:mad::eek:

10-4 good buddy and can you imagine when a ~ million CBers now realize they can do on many other bands as what they do on 11M. No supervision, the FCC doesnt care what goes on and with any power they want.....and the ARRL brass keeps getting raises.

Carl

AK5B likes this.
  4. KA0SOH

KA0SOH Ham Member QRZ Page

Great effort.

KC2UGV likes this.
  5. AF4RK

AF4RK Ham Member QRZ Page

Me too. Miami
    AF4RK

6. KZ4USA

KZ4USA Ham Member QRZ Page

7. W7ASA

W7ASA Ham Member QRZ Page

moo-ha-ha!

".. Half the people do not even know how to panic."

I am officially stealing that quote, to use the next time that the idea of being prepared comes-up in conversation, which in Northern Idaho is very common.

>Ray ..._ ._

KL7KN likes this.
  8. KQ4GUI

KQ4GUI Ham Member QRZ Page

we went to gorgeia for irma. during Ian I released how much ham radio could help me and others phones when towers go down, put the phone in the blender it won't save you but ham radio will, if repeaters go down no prob use simplex. Get licensed and become a ham radio operator now.

9. KL7KN

KL7KN Ham Member QRZ Page

I am reminded of an iconic image of a man standing chest deep in flood waters - talking on a pay phone.
    Prior to the FedGov destroying the old Bell System, the company spent serious dollars to provide good, solid telephone communication. Dependable communications.

Now, today, to be fair, low-cost cell phones provide nearly ubiquitous communications - when the systems work.
    It's the part where they PTSN stops working that seems to surprise folks.
    Most younger folks have never heard a busy signal, a fast busy or a 'all circuits' busy tag. Because now when the system collapses, it collapses completely.

I would suggest any 'disaster plan' you might consider should account for the complete lack of communications via the PSTN. I'll offer my best wishes to your efforts.

You know -
    upload_2023-6-11_6-35-26.jpeg