ad: Flexradio-1

HRD Software, LLC releases version 5.11a

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by WJ6R, Feb 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. W4PG

W4PG QRZ Lifetime Member #279 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

So i see folks continue to complain about the price of HRD 6.0 but no one has responded to my earlier post about how Logic, which many folks use, costs $129 USD!! It dawns on me that you get what you pay for. Folks who complain are much more likely to COMPLAIN than folks who are satisfied - such is life.

Most decent ham rigs these days cost over a thousand dollars. A software package that interfaces with your rig, rotates your antenna including satellite antenna, logs your contacts, uploads and downloads to LoTW and eQSL, does most every digital mode and MORE including remote operation, DX Cluster, audio spectrum, and more yet costs less than $100 dollars gets folks panties in a wad??

Blimey!!

2. KF6ABU

KF6ABU Ham Member QRZ Page

What are the new features that make 5.0 build 2893 windows 95, and the new version.. windows 8?

3. KD8DEY

KD8DEY Ham Member QRZ Page

So are they going to finally fix the sound card calibration crash problem in DM780??

4. KC2GYU

KC2GYU XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Let's just make it $50 flat. I hate seeing the .99 or .95 in prices. All that is a psychological thing to make you think it's in the 40 dollar range.

5. KA9MOT

KA9MOT Ham Member QRZ Page

I've never even heard of Logic. Is anybody else familiar with Logic?

EDIT: Do you mean Logic Pro? For Apple?

Not everybody spends thousands on radio equipment. I'm in the hundreds bracket and there is allot of good equipment out there for less than $1000. I like to pay for my software. I believe it is important to support those who work so hard to give us some of the great things we enjoy. Prices have to be reasonable though. As I said in an earlier post, Windows can be had for $80, and allot more work/expense has gone into that software then what you want $80 for, and with Windows you only pay once. Heck, Linux is free and is community supported and look how well that is working out.

BTW, When I installed Windows7 tonight to check out the new HRD, I had to learn how to install GRUB. So I learned something new. Thanks to HRD!

Last edited: Mar 1, 2012
  6. N0WYO

N0WYO XML Subscriber QRZ Page

You want a comment on this? I'll give you one...

$129 IS too much. Based on what you've said, it's an inferior product to HRD. I have no reason to doubt that, but I wouldn't bother proving it to myself since I like HRD too much.

I'm satisfied with whatever upgrades you guys make to HRD 5.x and I'll live with it for at least a year before I decide to buy it. Hell, I never upgraded HRD on the regular basis anyway. Why start now?

It's your product- you charge for it whatever the market will bear. I'm fine paying 80 bucks every other year for it. But in addition to your software, there are my ARRL dues, 3 clubs I belong to, and some things my wife likes. You're in the running for a slice of the pie, Robert. Don't push it.

7. WA4OTD

WA4OTD XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I've donated $50 a year and I think $80 is too much. I'll look at options and may cancel my donation.

The question is $80 for Ver 6, how long until ver 7 and will that be another $80 or so?

8. WJ6R

WJ6R Ham Member QRZ Page

N0YWO

Wrong guy... W4PG is the moderator here and wrote that messages.. Im W4PC and I'm one of the three owners.

;)

9. KA9MOT

What it really comes down to is, "What will your market bear?". I think that this thread and your own poll shows that @ $80 only a small portion of your market will bear.

10. K0BXB

K0BXB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I've used HRD since very early on. I have never had any serious problems with it. I use it every day for rig control and logging and several times a week use DM780. I don't understand all the "problems" people write about having. I've had problems with interface cables but when I got either the current driver or when I recently upgraded to Win7 64, a compatible inexpensive adaptor cable, not a single problem. I've played with lots of other software but just keep coming back to HRD because it works so well for me. I appreciate the massive work that has gone into it and am very happy to pay for it. Would I like it to be $25. Of course. But it is worth $80 to me. Keep up the good work guys. I for one will keep using it!
    K0BXB

11. KA9MOT

I see I made that mistake as well...Ooops!

12. W4PG

Steve . . . Windows is an operating system that millions use. No ham radio software comes close to being used by that number of people. To suggest Windows cost such and such a price and thus ham software should too ignores basic supply and demand principles that control business.

I run Windows 7 on my machines and have no idea what GRUB is. I'll have to look that one up. Since when did HRD require Windows 7?? That's a new one on me.

Logic by Hosenose has been a logging program around for years. MANY years. It's expensive yet survives today! So much for those who say they won't spend money on software.

And no, I'm not part of HRD though my call is similar to the owner. :)

............Bob

13. WJ6R

WJ6R Ham Member QRZ Page

And Bob, you're accross the Bay from me. ;)

14. KA9MOT

I figured out the call sign discrepancy Bob. I'm a little slow sometimes.

And to your other questions:

GRUB is a Boot loader mostly used by the Linux operating system...there are others but the Ubuntu that is installed on this machine uses GRUB. So because HRD doesn't work under Linux unless I use WINE or Virtual Machine (both suck) so I needed to install Windows in a Dual Boot configuration with Linux, because I wanted install and run the new HRD to make sure there were no major changes and prevent myself from looking like a complete fool. I chose Windows7 because this machine runs well with it and Windows7 has almost all of the drivers I need for this old ASUS Board, plus it was on top of the pile. When I installed Windows7 it overwrote my Boot Sector which then prevented me from booting to Ubuntu. So, I had to install the Boot Loader (GRUB) which I had never done before. So I learned something new.

Now I can boot into Windows or Ubuntu. See? That was simple! :D

15. W4PG

Makes me long for the Commodore 64!! Whew!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.