ad: GNOHF-1

HRD No Longer Works

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Deluxe - HRD' started by N4UP, Aug 13, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KD8DEY

KD8DEY Ham Member QRZ Page

Doesn't sound quite Kosher.
    Shouldn't have to re validate every year, just check if somebody is entitled to an upgrade during an install, or if their support is expired.

they should be able to install a special key file on the computer that tells if HRD has been installed previously, and what version, and not need to re verify with their servers in case you had to fix a corrupted installation.

2. ND6M

ND6M Ham Member QRZ Page

There is a user changeable setting in Dim 4 that changes the MAX time change allowed at any ONE attempt.

Yours may be set too low.

My Dim4 runs perfectly, ............unless WinDoze does an update and turns it off when booted.

3. N4UP

N4UP Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I agree. But it sounds like with the new license server it will re-validate every time you run the program. What if the server is down, what happens? And what if they go out of business, does every HRD installation then stop working??

I can understand the need to activate software the first time you use it, but to re-validate at every execution, that seems a stretch.

Here is a cut-and-paste from HRD support ---

"We DO want you to be able to run the software. The software license server isn't there to prevent customers from running the software. It's there to enable customers to run the software."

This implies that without the server, we are not enabled to run the software. "They" say this is the way other commercial software works.

4. N4UP

N4UP Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Yes, I am aware of that and thought I had a pretty high setting, but maybe I was wrong. I don't allow any Windows updates, so that should not be an issue. The problem seems to be a battery-BIOS issue, so I have to let Dimension 4 ( or whatever I am using ) to correct the time, every time I boot. But with HRD, I have to force a second time-sync update after I boot and before I run HRD. That is easy enough to do. I will look again at the Dim 4 settings, and will also try Net Time.

Part of the problem might be lag time. I noticed when I tried Net Time that my lag time was larger than I would have thought ( I have slow-unreliable satellite-based internet ). So I still might have to do a second time sync.

No other software I have ever used has complained about time synchronization ( with some external server ).