HRD No Longer Works

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Deluxe - HRD' started by N4UP, Aug 13, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
  1. N4UP

N4UP Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I am using the paid version of HRD Version 6.6 and it has been working fine until today.

Today when I try to execute the program it demands that I re-enter my activation code. That is absurd. And when I do so it tells me it cannot activate due to a time synchronization issue between my computer and their server. Also absurd. My computer clock is fine. I am even using Dimension 4. The program then exits.

I cannot use a trial version because I am already registered. So I am dead in the water. I cannot access my logs even to export them to a logging program that works. This is crazy.

The paid program requires an internet connection? That is also crazy. Once installed and activated, the software should continue to work independently of the HRD servers. Do I seem to be angry? You betcha.

2. N4UP

I fiddled with Dimension 4, forced a time synchronization, and HRD then took the re-entered activation code.

In my opinion, HRD should not require an internet connection, nor require continual re-activation. Should only have to activate once, or for new program version downloads. Something is wrong with HRD.

The failure due to lack of time synchronization comes from within the HRD activation window, but HRD tech support does not seem to know anything about it.

3. N4UP

An update. Still no explanation as to why HRD sometimes demands the user to re-enter the activation key. A number of people have posted about this.

HRD tech support tells me the program is comparing my computer date-time with the expiration date. If that fails, then the program will not work, at all. Means that you have to pay a fee each year. That may not be their intention, but it is what it is, for anyone "paid up" who has the "activation" window issue.

I must say that HRD tech support has been quite responsive. They wanted remote access to my computer, which is not unreasonable from their point of view, but not something that will work, given my slow and unreliable internet ( and given my trust issues ;) ).

4. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

I was under the impression that it never expired. :rolleyes:

That does suck. :mad:

KK5JY likes this.
  5. N4UP

It is not supposed to. The problem is that with Version 6.6 there are "unintended" problems. In my case, I get locked out when it cannot re-validate my subscription. It shouldn't need to re-validate, but it does. Tomorrow I am going back to the previous version, which worked fine for a long time. I only "upgraded" because of the new licensing scheme. Big mistake.

6. N4UP

Final update? The folks at HRD have explained the problem to me. If you run HRD 6.6 without an internet connection, it works fine. If you have an internet connection, HRD will check with its server to re-validate the license key. That key should be good indefinitely. But if the time synchronization between my computer and their server is off by more than some set parameter, then it will fail to re-validate and lock me out. So the key is good for as long as the HRD server is there.

My computer clock is not reliable. When I first boot the computer Dimension 4 does its thing ( time synchronization ) but sometimes that is not ( initially ) good enough and I have to force it to update again.

7. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

So if you are connected to the internet and their server is down you are SOL ?

Am I understanding that correct ?

Sounds like Blacklisting is back once again. :eek:

8. AC6BW

AC6BW XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Time to ditch Dim 4. I had similar problems with it. Now, I run NetTime. It is worlds simpler, and most importantly, reliable.
    http://www.timesynctool.com/

N4UP likes this.
  9. N4UP

I just downloaded and installed it on my office computer. It does seem a bit simpler than Dimension 4, but if it works then I am keeping it. Thank you.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2019
  10. N4UP

I don't know that to be the case. I do know that if your time is off, you have to re-enter the key, and the server will then reject it because the time is off, then the program exits. That locks you out. Until you fix the time and re-enter the key and go through the whole process again. This is the way the new version 6.6 license server works. I believe the old license server worked differently.

If the server is down, the default should be to allow the program to work. But I don't know how they have it set up. My guess is they want to be sure you have a legitimate key, even after your support agreement expires.

HRD tech support tells me the new license server is there to enable users to use the program, not to prevent users from using it. But I have my doubts that that is the way it actually works.

They do assure me that once I have a license key then it is good forever, but they don't say what happens if the server is down. Clearly a "forever" key is useless if your time is off.

Why not simply check the license server only when you need tech support, not every time you run the program ??

My problem is fixed, for now. I just have to force a time synchronization before I run the program.

I must say that they have at least two levels of tech support and in my most recent experience, both levels are quick to respond. With my two recent "issues" both could only be resolved/explained by the second level. YMMV.

And by the way, I have tried all the other logging software I am aware of, and I still like my combination of N1MM+ for quick entry ( I do a lot of CW contesting and QSO parties ) and HRD for saving and organizing my logs. I also use HRD as a driver for both WSJT-X and HDSDR. Without HRD, I would have to find some other way of feeding WSJT-X and HDSDR.