HR2.0 - YouTubers Bunch Discusses ARRL Membership Benefits and Fallbacks

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KC5HWB, Oct 18, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
  1. KC5HWB

KC5HWB Ham Member QRZ Page

In this installment of the YouTubers Bunch, a collection of Ham Radio Operators with YouTube Channels, we discuss the ARRL.

Is ARRL membership important? Who IS a member? What benefit does the ARRL have for Amateur Radio in the USA? Lots of different views and topics are discussed in this episode, I hope you enjoy it.

KF4ZNL, KG4BFR, N2RIC and 4 others like this.
  2. DJ0AJ

DJ0AJ Ham Member QRZ Page

hallo ham RADIO member,s shipp everyon,s greeting .sincerely vy73 DJOAJ ekrem

K1LKP, KA0HCP and KC5HWB like this.
  3. KD4LT

KD4LT Ham Member QRZ Page

Well it is $49 bucks to renew membership for the ARRL.
    This well be the first time for me but I wont be renewing my membership with ARRL.
    IF the ARRL would concentrate it' efforts more on spectrum defense not on more members I would stay with them. I well miss the qsl bureau !

W7XLR, K8MRD and N9AMI like this.
  4. KC3NBN

KC3NBN Ham Member QRZ Page

I am a member. I do like QST. It did take me more than 25 year to join though. They do have good services. Then again I am old school. My only gear is home made tube gear and a Collins S. Line station. The 32S1 with 75S1 and it is as old as I am. Not a fan of sand radio's but that is me.

KF4ZKU likes this.
  5. KJ4YQK

KJ4YQK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Overall I do not mind spending $49 a year for membership, I pay more for other membership to other organizations. I am a QRZ member at Platinum level.

I like the QST mag, Log Book of the World, The Podcast, the books and Contest Calendar. The QST mag has gotten better over this last year. I am looking forward to the new Magazines. I do like the ads in QST so I can keep up on what is new and what current prices are.

I do think they should hold off on increasing the annual membership fees.

W7XLR, KF4ZKU and K0UO like this.
  6. N9AMI

N9AMI Ham Member QRZ Page

I am not a paying member of the ARRL and I think I was only one for a year or 2 when I first started out. Then I got smart. They did not support AM operators or vintage operations and I had a few semi heated head to heads with the local arrl boss. This was years ago. As far as what they offer? There isn't one thing I find they offer me. The politics of the arrl is what they want to push but pretend to be for all the average hams. The magazine never will give negative review on a product, and the arrl lab testing is... well I wont even get into it. Also now days a guy can use eqsl or others to get cards and chase paper. Nothing is fresh from these folks for the last 60 years. Do some reading of how things were in the early days. Anyhow I wont loose sleep not being a "member".

7. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Time to get on the bands and not ---just--talk about'em on Youtube.

We used to yak about this stuff on SSB. Now we play TV producers...

Any reason why we can't do both?

Chip W1YW

KI5AIU, KJ4YQK, W7XLR and 6 others like this.
  8. K8MRD

K8MRD Ham Member QRZ Page

Absolutely we can do both. The more the merrier. However, we (us YouTubers) are on the bands. We are up front in the hobby. We are at the ham swaps and conventions. We're the ones producing informative content to keep the hobby alive. We eat, sleep, and breath Ham Radio, and thats why we do what we do. Lest anyone think it's easy, it costs money to make free videos for people to watch, and it takes countless hours of filming and editing to make a viable product. But we do it because we love it, and we want to pay it forward. We are the new age of Elmers. We do reviews of products. We show how things work. We teach. We learn from our own mistakes and share that with others. If you ask me, that's what ham radio is all about. It's just on a newer format. I don't see a whole lot of "elmering" in the hobby as it was understood to me from my studies. No one has sat me down and shown me "this is how you do it". I either learned on my own thru trial and error, or watched someone else on youtube who has figured it out and had the mindset to upload it so others could learn. I don't know if you can say that for the current state of the ARRL, regardless of what they may say...

W2REA, N1NUG, KK7AMB and 5 others like this.
  9. WD0BCT

WD0BCT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I was an annually renewing member since becoming licensed as a novice in 1974. Shortly after upgrading I opted for the lifetime membership and am glad I did. I continued reading QST even after I let my license lapse in 1996. This continued subscription eventually led to my relicensing in 2016.

Quite frankly I don't think there has been any "dumbing down" of QST. I don't recall the small format magazine being a great pantheon of technology as some have indicated here on the zed. I have had subscriptions to technical magazines throughout my engineering career. I always found QST more fun to read.

I have always felt that the ARRL is necessary to promoting amateur radio. To those who feel otherwise I would ask who else represents us?

WN2C, K0UO, N0TZU and 2 others like this.
  10. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Good answer. Congrats on the Extra:)

Carry on.

Chip W1YW

Last edited: Oct 21, 2019
    KE7DUX likes this.