ad: M2Ant-1

HR2.0: Episode 91 - Debut of the Kenwood NX-5800 NXDN/DMR/P25 Mobile Radio

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KC5HWB, May 2, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. KC5HWB

KC5HWB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

KK4HPY and IX1FIT like this.
  2. N3KIP

N3KIP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I suppose I might find this interesting if there was actually any P25 or NexEdge in this neck of the woods, or even back home, but there isn't.

73 de N3KIP, G8VUK

3. N5TZH

N5TZH Ham Member QRZ Page

its not ham radio to me

4. K3SZ

K3SZ Ham Member QRZ Page

It is ham radio to me!

Tnx Jason.

K3XR, K9ASE, KK4NAW and 4 others like this.
  5. KC5HWB

Technically speaking, NO DMR radios are Ham Radios, since DMR is a commercial standard. The 1 exception to this rule would be the Connect Systems radios, which are specifically made for Amateur use, but even they have commercial versions of the same radios for DMR.

KT5OT and WD8IIR like this.
  6. N8FM

N8FM Ham Member QRZ Page

Not to be critical, but I wonder if that's how the AM guys felt about SSB in the early to mid 60s...

KI5PLE, K3XR, K9ASE and 9 others like this.
  7. K8XG

K8XG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

So GE Master II repeaters are not Ham Repeaters ? Hi Hi

KT5OT and N2YQT like this.
  8. KC5HWB

No, really they are not. They are just repeaters that were built for commercial use, that happen to cover the amateur bands.

N4DME likes this.
  9. K8XG

K8XG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Well, Yea, Duh... but some of the most common in use before; just like ICOM commercial not ham models are in place here in town besides the old GE IIs. In the early days of repeaters, most all equipment was commercial not marketed for the ham market; as the Same with DMR today. For example I have a XPR-8400 being used on BrandMeister.

But I like Fusion better then DMR anyway, as some folk's DMR radios on the Hot Spots sound way over deviated; and when those over deviated ones connect to Fusion rooms on OpenSpots you can tell the difference. I wish there was a way to get that part solved.

10. K3LT

K3LT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

What would you call it then?

K0WJ likes this.
  11. WD6FOX

WD6FOX Ham Member QRZ Page

This Radio probably costs $$$$$ a few thousand ???? NICE THOUGH!

KC5HWB likes this.
  12. KC5HWB

Yes. But apples to apples - New Kenwood NX-5800 vs New Motorola XPR5550. The Kenwood is less.

13. W5TXR

W5TXR XML Subscriber QRZ Page

DMR, P25, NEXEDGE, Mototrbo...... are NOT amateur radio. these formats were created either for public safety or $$$$$. P25 (C4FM) was created for the public safety community for interoperability and bandwidth conservation.
    DMR (Mototrbo) audio sucks, I hate saying that because I worked for Motorola for many years, but "Mother Motorola" doesn't always do things I like (I'm a nobody) NEXEdge is proprietary and works with NOTHING else on the planet.
    (C4FM) Yeasu's codec "Fusion" is ham radio, JARL's D-Star which is GMSK (I call it D-Sucks) is indeed ham radio. As an experienced radio professional I think Yaesu's C4FM Fusion audio is king. it is the only one of the three that has a BW of 12.5 Khz and a transmission rate of 9.6kbs giving it better audio characteristics. Oddly all of the digital stuff uses the same AMBE VOCODER made by a company called DVSI. I wish I had bought stock in that company from the beginning! Anyways, the hardware is the same, they just have different codecs and modulation schemes. when you take away bandwidth you lose audio quality (analog or digital) you can only chip away at the band space so much, personally I think the line should be drawn at 12.5 Khz. I like audio quality, so that just my 2 cents worth.
    The DVSI AMBE or AMBE+2 VOCODER is extremely proprietary and is used by P25, Alinco digital, AOR Fast Speed modem (digital HF), Fusion, D-Star, Mototrbo, NEXGEN, iDEN, ETSI DMR.....
    If you want to learn more about the AMBE Vocoder. Digital HF or P25 go to my website www.w5txr.net and click on "Amateur Radio Downloads" and pick your poison.

"What's in your hamshack?"©. -W5TXR

14. NC4DX

NC4DX Ham Member QRZ Page

A radio/mode is what it's being used for. An F350 can be an ambulance, wrecker, pickup truck, whatever. Same with a radio or mode

KI5PLE, N7MK, K3SZ and 2 others like this.
  15. K4NWJ

K4NWJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Exactly !!!!!!!!!!