ad: Alphaant-1

HR2.0 Episode 141: Hamcom 2018

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KC5HWB, Jun 19, 2018.

Tags:
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. KC5HWB

KC5HWB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

http://www.livefromthehamshack.tv/2018/06/18/episde-141-hamcom-2018/
    ----------------------------
    HAMCOM is one of my favorite shows each year. It is the ARRL West Gulf Division Convention and it takes places in my home-area. This year they moved back to East Plano, where it used to be held several years ago, and the ticket sales showed tremendous growth. Take a look at this video and let me know what you think - I think we're going to see a large increase in Hamcom activity over the next few years.

2. KD5OM

KD5OM Premium Subscriber

Nobody wants to see MTC? Why is that?

3. KG5CMS

KG5CMS XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I am a big fan of MTC. Richard and his staff always have good deals and take care of the customers.

KC5HWB and KD5RJZ like this.
  4. KD5RJZ

KD5RJZ Ham Member QRZ Page

The Tulsa hamfest has suffered greatly without MTC the last two years.

5. KC5HWB

Not sure what you are referring to, unless I made some wise-crack to Richard during the video - in which case I was teasing him - he is a great guy. I did say at one point in time that it wouldn't be Hamcom without MTC there.

KD5RJZ likes this.
  6. KC5HWB

Tell the guys at the GCHF that. If they invited MTC back, they might show.

KD5RJZ likes this.
  7. N9SOX

N9SOX Ham Member QRZ Page

Me and my broken elbow make an appearance at 5:29 :)

KC5PGV likes this.
  8. W2DB

W2DB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Gave up on this video at about 3 minutes of zero information other than "we're at Hamcom...uh...2018" . Hint: less repetition of zero content and more information. And might help if you explained what Amateur Radio 2.0 means. But I totally disagree on the location. Irving was better as far as I'm concerned, nice and compact with the parking garage where I was able to reserve parking and pre-pay, even got to park in the spot closest to the elevators, by chance. Big antennas? Take it off before entering, that's simple. And as far as location goes it was better in Arlington, back in the 90's. More central location. Plano is just way off the beaten path.

9. KD5BVX

KD5BVX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

What is the 1x2 even talking about? First off, no need to "explain" what Ham Radio 2.0 is - it's the show title (and it's not "Amateur Radio 2.0"...get it right if you're going to attempt to make some point) and there's nothing to explain, though he has talked about it before (and if he had done so again in this video you'd likely complain about that...). This is episode 141, no need to rehash the reason for the show title in every episode.

Yeah, sure...everyone wants to stop their vehicle and remove antennas from their roof before pulling in a tight parking garage...right... :rolleyes: A valid point was made in the video about that.

Don't like the show, don't watch. No need to reply negatively - it's Jason's show and he does it in his style. He needs no "hints". :D A failure to comprehend and understand that on the viewer's part isn't Jason's fault. ;) Do you also give "hints" to Ham Nation? They could use some...but I don't bash them in the comments every week on here, I just don't watch that "show".

Why does it seem it's always the 1x2's and the 2x1's that are always the most unhappy and most negative on here? Are their lives that bad? Sure doesn't help promote the spirit of the hobby...just makes themselves look bad.

Show a little respect and get a lot of respect in return.

10. KC5HWB

Suffice it to say that you are amongst the minority of Hams who think Irving is a better venue. Proof of this fact was in the dwindling numbers of tickets sales over the past 3-4 years when it was in Irving, totaling about 900 tickets in 2017, and that number tripling when it was moved back to Plano this year.

I liked the location of Irving better myself, and it is more centrally located to the DFW area. The issue is what Hamcom is large enough where it services a much larger area than DFW, and Hamcom isn't about me (or you, individually). So the location is better for Irving, but the venue is obviously better in Plano, which this year's show made clear.