ad: QuirkyQRP-1

HR2.0 Episode 127: TYT MD-9600 DMR Mobile Radio, Version 3

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KC5HWB, Feb 6, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KC5HWB

KC5HWB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

K0PJS likes this.
  2. N6NLX

N6NLX Ham Member QRZ Page

Still no remote head capability? That's a deal killer for me.

KC4KEZ likes this.
  3. WA1BXY

WA1BXY XML Subscriber QRZ Page

CS800d has the remote head.

4. KC5HWB

KC5HWB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

You're both correct. The MD9600 doesn't have a remote head, while the CS800D does. Though I am told that the CS800D is deaf on VHF. I have a test model that I will be reviewing soon

K3TEF likes this.
  5. AA1PR

AA1PR Ham Member QRZ Page

if they cant get it right at the first two tries Im not buying one ever

6. AK9S

AK9S Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Just purchased the TYT MD-2016 (Model 3) and I am very disappointed with the general lack of quality control.

Besides having an entire column of dead pixels on the display, my radio is selectively deaf. After running several comparison tests, my MD-380 and 390 consistently decode any transmission, while the 9600 fails to do so and will show zero signal strength. When it does decode (after just turning it ON or sporadically at-will), it will show full signal strength as expected. All three radio receive the same transmissions from my OpenSpot, which is across the room.

I will be sending the radio back.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2018
  7. AK9S

Correction...MD-9600

8. N1WLD

N1WLD Ham Member QRZ Page

I have a Version 3 9600, been using it for a few weeks now. I also was able to use, and test, a CS-800d for awhile.
    Simple choice for me................I wouldn't give you a nickle for the CS-800d! The removable head, in no way, makes up for the other short comings of the radio. The screen is horrible and the front panel functionality sucks! The ONLY thing I liked about the CS-800 was the programming software. It was well laid out and easy to use.
    The MD-9600 has worked flawlessly. The screen is bigger, has more information lines, and is easier to read. Access to radio functions, via the front panel, is easy and intuitive vs the 800d. The owners manual for the 9600 is pretty lame, but there are numerous user groups available for help.

I'll stick with the 9600. There may be a few bad radios out there, just like ALL the radio manufacturers, but I've found TYT to be easy to work with.

9. AK9S

Great comments, as I was about to order a CS800D. Not any more. I was not happy how CSI completely abandoned owners of the CS800/801. Their latest firmware is still buggy and released in 2016. Completely unacceptable.

I may keep my TYT MD-9600. It really has a wonderful receiver. It just appears nobody has been able to successfully use it with an OpenSpot yet. It may just be a matter of time before TYT releases a firmware so their radio works with an OpenSpot, as currently do all of their hand-held radios.

10. KC3ECJ

KC3ECJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Does the MD-9600 have a stupid busy channel lockout that you cant disable like the TH-9800?