HR 555 - Amateur Radio Parity Act has just passed the house!

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KU0O, Jan 24, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. N2EY

N2EY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

No. I just came upon those posts while looking for something completely unrelated. And it occurred to me that there was something fundamentally wrong with the whole divorce analogy. After a bit of thought, I figured it out and posted a rebuttal.

Is that wrong? Should I not do that? WHY?

I know. I can only do so much. As it says in the Books of Bokonon: "Sometimes the pool-pah exceeds the power of humans to comment."

I'm not starting an argument. I'm just replying to statements that are logically inconsistent, in a thread that is still open.

Where is it written that threads or posts have a date beyond which they should not be responded to?

I disagree with you on that, Burt.

The plain and simple fact is that I only disagree with you when you are mistaken about something and I notice it and have time to set things straight. Same for other folks.

Why, thank you! (At age 64, with 51 years as a ham, it's nice to hear such compliments.)

----

Here's the irony: By responding to this thread, you've revived it. Why was it wrong for me to respond, but OK for you?

It is fascinating that no one complaining has a rebuttal of what I wrote in post #1339. Instead they attack and insult me for posting in an old thread. Classic ad-hominem logical fallacy (attack the messenger rather than the message).

I mean.....in just about every HOA-rules thread that gets started, the discussion sooner or later comes upon the "private contract" argument. And the pro-HOA folks inevitably say that it's wrong to try to change a contract once it has been signed. Yet divorce does that to marriage contracts every day!

Last edited: Aug 30, 2018
    W4ZD likes this.
  2. K1OIK

K1OIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I guess I am never right as you have not agreed with me. You disagree with me at times to try to minimize me.
    Divorce is the ending of a contract by agreement of the parties not a unilateral dictate to abrogate a contract.

3. W4ZD

W4ZD Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Aw hell, Burt, don't try to make a mountain out of a mole hill. It won't be much of a mountain, and the mole will likely be very pissed off. :D

4. K1VSK

K1VSK Ham Member QRZ Page

That's absurd!

You seem fixated with that one (of many) arguments to the exclusion of many others, a prime example of which is consistently ignoring the concept you apparently don't comprehend of staying out of other people's' business by inserting your opinion about places in which you don't live.

Do you really think no one notices?

K1OIK likes this.
  5. W4ZD

W4ZD Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

God, what happened to civil discourse? :rolleyes:

KJ4VTH and NL7W like this.
  6. NL7W

NL7W Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

They're 1's, of course! Did you expect civil discourse from current or former nor'easters? :D

Last edited: Aug 30, 2018
    WZ7U likes this.
  7. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

Again with the Thread Necromancy.jpg

AF7XT likes this.
  8. KK5JY

KK5JY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Ironically, the bill that was the subject of the OP is no closer to passage today than it was then. :oops:

K1OIK and WZ7U like this.
  9. N2EY

I disagree about that. I don't disagree with you every time you are mistaken about something, so why do you expect agreement when you are not?

I disagree about that too. How can I "minimize" Superman?

Not in all cases. In every state I know of, it is possible to get a divorce even if one of the parties does not agree to ending the contract. And the terms of a divorce are often dictated by law and the courts. Plus there are pre-nuptial agreements and community-property states. Often, when a divorce is granted, the marriage contract isn't just ended - often, one of the parties has to pay the other party spousal support (alimony) and/or child support - often for years or even decades.

IANAL - and neither are you - but it sure seems to me that there's a lot more to divorce than just "ending a contract by mutual agreement" or some such.

And let's not forget about "right to fly" laws. If someone wants to fly flags, they should just buy a home that allows it, right? Or, if they decide after they've bought a home that they want to fly Old Glory, they should just move.....right?

10. N2EY

Where have I been uncivil in this discourse?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.