HR 555 - Amateur Radio Parity Act has just passed the house!

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KU0O, Jan 24, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: l-assoc
ad: L-rfparts
ad: l-gcopper
  1. KU0O

KU0O Ham Member QRZ Page

KC8VWM and N5PZJ like this.
  2. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Yet another thread on the same subject (started by the same user):
    15 minutes of consideration that affects tens of millions (for the benefit of a few thousand hams). Makes sense. o_O

1 person likes this.
  3. KU0O

KU0O Ham Member QRZ Page

This is breaking news!

The Amateur Radio Parity Act had way more than 15 minutes of consideration. It had many hours behind the scenes effort put into it. Congress acted appropriately considering the bipartisan support behind this excellent legislation.

WU8Y likes this.
  4. WA7PRC

Then, each time anyone takes a breath (on any subject), we can count on you to start a new thread! <-- exclamation point added for emphasis
    Congress acted, based on "Alternative Facts" in this (IMO) bad legislation.

K1OIK likes this.
  5. KU0O

KU0O Ham Member QRZ Page

Just imagine the thread I will start when it passes in the Senate. Another opportunity exists when President Trump signs it as well.

N5WLS, KG4NZW, W5TTP and 1 other person like this.
  6. KK5JY

KK5JY Ham Member QRZ Page

Agreed. The floor comments are definitely a bit fact-challenged.

Then again, one undeniable feature of representative democracy is that it allows large numbers of people to agree together to make big mistakes collectively.

I'll say one thing for the comments from the House floor -- at least the bill got discussed, and it didn't just get shoved in some snowball of other bills. I have to give everyone involved credit for getting it discussed on the floor. Kudos.

7. WA7PRC

You mean:
    IOW, "Don't count your chickens before they're hatched."

8. KU0O

KU0O Ham Member QRZ Page

I have confidence that the bill will pass this time in the senate as political reasons for the hold are no longer present. Just think, the Amateur Parity Act of 2017 could become law in February.

WU8Y likes this.
  9. K0RGR

K0RGR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Did Senator Nelson die? And our new president is a billionaire real estate developer, true? I will be very pleased if it passes, but I suspect it won't, unless there's no way for Nelson to block it.

10. WA7PRC

That would be only slightly good for a few hams in HOAs, and mostly bad for millions of their neighbors.
    Until and after then, hams can make use of other means to get on the air, including:

• mobile stations
    • portable stations
    • club stations
    • remote stations
    Some of these can be MUCH better stations than a single likely mediocre antenna that meets your HOA's approval.

K1OIK likes this.