How to satisfy speaker mic V used w/ extension cable?

Discussion in 'Microphones, Speakers & Audio Processing' started by KK6QMS, Mar 10, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-rfparts
ad: Subscribe
  1. KK6QMS

KK6QMS XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Got a dual band AnyTone AT-5888UV mobile rig to use as base. Extension of about 15' causes speaker in mic to go intermittent (even spaced clicking/dropping) when there is modulation. I am hoping there is some way to buffer the V going to the mic to remdie. I have plenty of kit building/repair/soldering experience just not the knowledge to design a solution in this scenario. Any suggestions appreciated.
    Clifford
    KK6QMS

2. K9YLI

K9YLI Ham Member QRZ Page

first test is put all the cable in a pile and do not disturb it and see if it still fails..
    then stretch it out and slowly walk your way down the wire bendng a bit at a time to see if its
    broken somewhere along its length. Also check for any possible cold solder joints. wiggle the wire at each termnation.
    also if this is on recieve. do you have it set up to monitor a "priority" channel.
    every 5 seconds it flips to priority to listen..

3. G3YRO

G3YRO Ham Member QRZ Page

It seems you are imagining that your 15 ft extension is dropping the signal, and tha you need some kind of ausio amplifier ?

The answer is NO . . . it would be fine. (you're more likely to have issues with the long mic lead, like hum or RF feedback)

The speaker going off intermittently will be down to either a broken cable, or more likely one of the connectors is faulty.

Roger G3YRO

4. KK6QMS

KK6QMS XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I swapped out the Yaesu cable with a 25ft CAT5e cable and works fine. Not sure what the issue was but all is well. Thanks for the replies.
    Clifford