How to remove enamel from (toroid) wire?

Discussion in 'Homebrew and Kit Projects' started by AA7EJ, Jul 12, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-rfparts
  1. KD0CAC

KD0CAC Ham Member QRZ Page

Never bought any , I get so much of it free from many sources , problem is I do not know its properties .
    Scrapping and or very fine emery cloth , in that order has worked for me .

2. KL7AJ

KL7AJ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I have a curved ceramic finishing tool that works wonderfully for scraping magnet wire.

3. N1OOQ

N1OOQ Ham Member QRZ Page

I just scrape it with an x-acto. Just don't press down very hard, and keep the knife moving. Holding it still on the wire is what causes nicks.

4. AA7EJ

AA7EJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Just installed three small cores using both 100W iron and scrapping with x-acto knife.
    Had better luck with scrapping, solder get the wire too stiff to mount and harder to control how close to the core it should be tinned. Works for me on #26.
    I'll try nail polish remover on next set.
    73 Shirley

5. KH2G

KH2G Ham Member QRZ Page

GC used to sell a stripper solvent you stuck the wire in and wiped it off. Acid based I assume.

6. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member QRZ Page

#10-2602 & 10-2616, "Strip-X", aka methylene chloride. IOW, paint stripper.

KH2G likes this.
  7. AA7EJ

AA7EJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I had a good luck removing paint from metal surface using household oven cleaner.
    But it took a while.

8. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member QRZ Page

The active ingredient in oven cleaner, also drain cleaner is sodium hydroxide, caustic soda, or lye (link). It also eats skin... it's nasty stuff.

9. N1OOQ

N1OOQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Methylene chloride is pretty nasty too... be careful if you use stuff like this. At least with lye, you can rinse it off and be fine.