How to open EBP-28N battery pack /Alinko DJ-580/

Discussion in 'Radio Circuits, Repair & Performance' started by LZ1MAK, May 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-assoc
ad: l-innov
ad: l-rl
ad: l-Waters
ad: L-Geochron
ad: l-gcopper
ad: L-rfparts
  1. LZ1MAK

LZ1MAK Ham Member QRZ Page

Hello to all hams!
    I got an Alinko DJ-580 ten years ago, but now I feel the battery pack EBP-28N is not holding the charge, it is still ok for ten years.
    Now I want to open the battery pack, take out the old Ni-Cd 700mAH batteries and to put new fresh Ni-Mh with 2600 mAH batteries inside the pack. Do you have ideas for how can I open the battery pack? It look like glue, no bolts.
    And the second question: if I put new batteries inside the pack, may I use the old edc25 charger, I know it will take longer time to charge batteries with 4 times bigger capacity but its ok for me, I have time :)

Attached Files:

2. K8ERV

K8ERV Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm not familiar with that pack, but if it is glued or sonically bonded the only way I know to open it is with a narrow
    saw. I use a bandsaw to open wall-warts if necessary.

Just don't saw in too far!

You should be able to use the same charger, the current will be a much smaller percentage of the rated level so it should not harm the cells. Do a trial run and feel the case to be sure it doesn't get very warm with extended times.

Hope you can find the NiMh cells with solder tabs, don't try to solder your own.

TOM K8ERV Montrose Colo
  3. W9GB

W9GB Ham Member QRZ Page

Last edited: May 2, 2012
  4. KB7YYY

KB7YYY XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I can't speak to the 28N as it appears to be an aftermarket part - however the standard 20N splits apart pretty easily with some patience and a thin screwdriver. There is just a small inner overlap that holds it together. Once apart the batteries are pretty easy to replace. I have done this once, however found that the pack died again after a couple of years (Ni-Cad). Once rebuilt I just used tape to hold it together as I knew I would be in it again in the future. Luckily I had one of the alkaline packs which made using NiMH batteries and an external charger an easier option.

EBP20 battery pack bottom.jpg EBP20 battery pack top.jpg
  5. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

They will come apart.

I use a Exacto knife and small screwdriver.

Then I re-glue them back together using silicon rubber, so it is easy to get back into it later if needed.

Your original charger will work with NIMH.
  6. LZ1MAK

LZ1MAK Ham Member QRZ Page

Thank you for your replies!
    Tomorrow, finally I hope I will be able to open the battery pack.

"Hope you can find the NiMh cells with solder tabs, don't try to solder your own"

Tom, is it bad idea to solder regular AA Ni-Mh batteries? Just in case this was my second plan.
    Thank you
    73 de LZ1MAK/KC2YZL
  7. K8ERV

Probably. Some, if not all cells have a temperature/pressure relief "valve" using a low temp plastic disk. Maybe polyethylene?. Soldering can melt it allowing the electrolyte to slowly evaporate. You may not notice a problem for a while, but the capacity will slowly decrease.

Solder tabs are always? welded to the cell cap via a capacitive? welder that forms the weld so quickly it doesn't heat the cell cap very much.

If you do have some nickel tabs and want to solder them to the cells, be sure the surfaces are very clean, use a little flux, and solder quickly with a hot iron. Cool the joint with a damp rag etc. I think nickel is used for good welding, for soldering a thin copper wire may be as good.

This may work, but no guarantees.

I don't think the rear end (-) of the cell would have a soldering problem.

TOM K8ERV Montrose Colo
  8. W9GB

W9GB Ham Member QRZ Page

Sanyo specifically stated DO NOT solder battery cells (vent damage risk) !!
    Sanyo batteries were bought by Panasonic 2 years ago.
    Lithium is a reactive element. Have you seen pure lithium placed in Water? IT EXPLODES!

The RadioControl (R/C) guys are ahead in this knowledge (2001 post)

Panasonic shows you a cross section of battery when soldered (it damages battery)
    The industry desired method is to spot weld solder tabs -- and you solder that tab (NOT the battery)
  9. KA9JLM

The Good Batteries with tabs are about the same price.

I have soldered to off the shelf ones, with a hot iron and quick, after tinning the battery connections quickly.

Tom has been their also it sounds like, and has a lot of good info.

If you can not make a solder connection within about 3 seconds, then you have a chance of messing up the seal and they will leak.

Charge a big capacitor and weld the tabs on that way. Works with screwdrivers.

You may not even get a normal battery to fit in the case, because the tip makes the battery longer.

They do make a battery pack for that radio that holds 6 AAs. I use one of them, but it is a pain having to take them out to recharge them, but it does work.

I doubled with W9GB sorry, That is some good info that he supplied, as always, Thanks Greg.
  10. K8ERV

I could be wrong (tho that is extremely unlikely) but I don't think NiMh cells have any lithium. I think a slow evaporation of the electrolyte is the problem.

TOM K8ERV Montrose Colo
  11. KA9JLM

Lithium is a totally different thing.

Then you do need a different charger, or they can blow.

Kids swallow Lithium Cells, and they normally do not blow up, but it is not a good thing.

Lithium Cells do have better seals, and higher pressures when overcharged.

I never could get Lithium Cells to do anything in a bucket of water, I guess they were dead.
  12. K8ERV

I hope you got their tricorders.

TOM K8ERV Montrose Colo
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.