How to handle "Unconfirmed" QSO's

Discussion in 'QRZ Operating Awards' started by AC2MM, Mar 9, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. AC2MM

AC2MM Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Yeah, I figured. That's a lot of logs to upload, but some guys take a few months vacation somewhere (lucky) and make calls while they're there.
    It's understandable.

But this has been enlightening. Quite a few didn't upload (but will), one the band was wrong, a few had no email address, but all were very polite and represented the best of the ham community IMO.

Nice group of guys to deal with, regardless of what country they hail from. This has been an enjoyable hobby.

...and finally I finished the emails.

2. KX4BW

KX4BW XML Subscriber QRZ Page

80% of my contacts in my QRZ log are confirmed. I would like 100% but that wont happen.
    what I have had luck with I use 3 logs to get them confirmed QRZ, LoTW , Clublog. I also don't doe FT8 I did for a very short time and I found 75% if not higher don't get confirmed

3. KJ4VTH

KJ4VTH Ham Member QRZ Page

Got some confirmations recently for QSOs in 2013!

4. AC2MM

AC2MM Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Well, I just got my DXCC from LOTW today, matter of fact. For QRZ, I still need 12.
    More people use LOTW for official records obviously.
    As long as I have that, I'm going to back off FT8 myself, and go back to conversational modes.
    I can't do voice, as my hearing sucks. So it will still be digital, like Olivia, Thor, Contestia, or whatever works good.
    Meet some nice people that way.

5. W1DQ

W1DQ Logbook Administrator Volunteer Moderator Volunteer DX Helper Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Suggest you Download from LoTW (from SETTINGS). The last time you did was last February.

6. KP4SX

KP4SX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I find just the opposite.

7. K6LPM

K6LPM Ham Member QRZ Page

LID ALERT....
    Sorry! 100 lashes with a wet noodle!
    Sometimes there are occasions where I might have slipped up & I might not have completed a log!
    I know, I know, I know! With electronic logbooks its really is so much easier to log with less excuses than ever.
    However, ever since the 80's or so the FCC here in the UNITED STATES repealed the mandatory log-keeping requirements and it has become just another one of those things that is tradition instead of actual operator responsibility.
    Let's face it, there are many hams out there in this day and age that have many bad habits. Complacency, disorganized, lazy and procrastination are several that immediately come to my mind. (Hmmm,,, don't know why those traits seem to stick out in my thoughts?:oops:)
    I must say that QRZ 'd has really played a substantial part in renewing the tradition of maintaining a station log for many hams. myself included.
    I believe maintaining a station log is an important part and a positive trait of being what a good operator is about.
    Having said all that, there are occasions where I might possibly miss an entry. If it is a very quick domestic contact like hello goodbye 59 signal report like maybe I have a visitor in the shack and I am giving a quick demonstration or someone comes along and pulls me away from the shack all of a sudden or maybe its a station I work often, a nearby local contact, or common friend I happen to socialize with often.
    These are the usual scenario that would keep me from omitting a log entry with a QSO. In those instances most likely arent going to come back to haunt me with unconfirmed QSO requesting QSL or other other confirmation.
    I have had other less common instances where for whatever reason I have multiple stations calling to work me. (yeah no kidding a mini little pile up for a California station..... Stop laughing:mad:!) So maybe I get a little overwhelmed logging them in so fast and furiously... (ok not that big of a pile up I can usually handle logging all three of them in:rolleyes:.) Ok bad example or excuse . But for whatever reason If I finish and QSY then I want to go back and log a little bit later I have not the freq info to place in the log. Or if I have a paper list from the pileup and go back to enter the log I dont have exact times or exact frequencies my official log will be incomplete and I get a request for a confirmation I cant actually edit the QSO to add or change the freq or time.
    Frequency entry has the most latitude on my logbook because I think that the Zed logbook you can enter just the band and get away with it. You cant do that with the QSO date and time. The timestamp is where I cant comfirm or fouls me up for later entries. These are the ones that I have received confirmation requests for.....
    I suppose that bad or rude manners are everywhere these days but it is often not with the best of intentions. The polite thing to do when confronted with a mislogged confirmation is to acknowledge the request and simply let them know that you cant confirm the contact.
    It seems it is much easier for most people to seem to just ignore the request. I know that I have not done that on purpose but have for whatever reason had the best of intentions to get around to replying and enough time goes by that I have just dropped the ball.
    Now please understand that this is not regular practice or common operator practice or the way that Radio Station K6LPM usually operates. I hope nobody gets that impression. I do understand that these things happen though and I am far from perfect. As far as ham radio I always strive for better and better! If you are one of the small few of unconfirmed in my QRZ log please forgive me.