How to Become a Verified Member

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Gear For Sale' started by AA7BQ, May 28, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Have patience - the ID Verified badge is DONE BY HUMANS, and a somewhat limited number of such humans over a weekend at QRZ HQ, who are probably enjoying their weekends with their families just like you, or on "Personal time off" (PTO) for a few days... The granting of the "green badge" takes a human to do it - after confirming what you have submitted. There's ALWAYS staff at HQ - but weekends are weekends, ya know?

Hang tight - it's not an "automated process" and might take a day or two. If you did all the steps, and got the confirmations of the automated stuff along the way, the granting of the "green badge" should be along soon.

Also note that since we've crossed the June 1 deadline for "ID Verified" required in the swapmeet, there's been a FLOOD of applications.

Thanks for taking the time and effort to do this - it's IMPORTANT and it's APPRECIATED... if all is well, you'll sport the new ID Verified badge very soon

:)

Dave
    W7UUU

2. KE0HTG

KE0HTG Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks

3. WQ2H

WQ2H QRZ Lifetime Member #214 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Humans? I bet they're...... "More Human than Human" :)

(by the way, seriously....the process isn't really all that bad.....)

Last edited: Jun 2, 2019
  4. N4DJC

N4DJC Ham Member QRZ Page

That is a big concern for me. I've never had to send a copy of a Govt ID like a DL or Passport to a forum to be able to sell on it. That seems rife for hacking.

KC6KNL likes this.
  5. K9ZE

K9ZE Ham Member QRZ Page

I sent my Gun Carry Permit -- and I hope that is acceptable. I want the hackers to know what is waiting for them when they come looking.

K1LSB, N4ABA, WQ2H and 3 others like this.
  6. W4FMD

W4FMD Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

First, your online process using Firefox in Windows with the TQSL certificate doesn't necessarily work and has errors. I don't know what version of Firefox you use, but in Firefox 67.0, 64bit, the menu item a user needs is not Preferences. It's Options. Second, I could not get past Step 7, so the information on how to add the certificate is missing because when I selected next in Step 7 the next message said it could not load the certificate.

7. W4FMD

W4FMD Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

To continue my previous message, I determined on my own that to load the certificate after Step 7 I had to use the Certificate tab for my own certificates to add a p12 file. It just dawned on me that the problem was probably because your instructions didn't mention that I should disable all my security in the browser that's prevents pop-ups, etc. That's not something I prefer.

As a paid subscriber it is more than little annoying to have to provide you with more personal information than my full identity and credit card info. With the issues I had using Thunderbird and loading my TQSL info, the process does not necessarily inspire confidence in how secure this information will be on your server and files. Much larger businesses than yours with more resources have serious security breaches.

8. AA7BQ

AA7BQ QRZ Founder Administrator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

There are a lot of moving parts here, and you have to consider them from a holistic viewpoint. Yes, you may have uploaded your TQSL certificate to our logbook, but how do we know that you, the one making your Verified application today, are the same person that uploaded the certificate before? Although we could go back and scour the logs to find out what happened when, as I write this I don't know when you added 2FA to your account. So, without this knowledge, we have to assume that someone could have obtained your password and logged in as you, and then setup 2FA on that account. 2FA does not provide any sort of identification. 2FA provides password security. Once you secure a password using 2FA, you can be sure that nobody else can use it. It does not, however, tell us who you are.

On the other hand... uploading your TQSL certificate should take all of 10 seconds. So then, what is the problem? Those 10 seconds needed to upload it are well spent considering the quality of the information it produces.

There are so many ways that the pieces go together that it becomes difficult or impossible to list them all. The system is by no means perfect and yet we are doing it because its benefits outweigh the inconvenience. We hope that as time goes on, more and more users will opt in.

73 -fred

9. AA7BQ

Disabling popups on your browser can be both good and bad. Some you want disabled and some you don't. There are a bunch of reasons to use popups that aren't nefarious and have reasonable use cases. Sure, some can be mighty annoying but none from QRZ are. You will never see us popping up a window like the New York Times does when it begs for your subscription. You may have to disable/enable the features at times, but that's the world in which we live.

You may want to consider that we ignored your credit card information because we don't let the systems intermingle. We've always treated payment information as sensitive and confidential and for that reason we don't dig into it or use it for other purposes. We're not that company that tracks everything you do nor will we ever share a single bit of your data with any other company. We just don't do it. In fact, we'd rather not have your payment or personal information, and we do everything we can to avoid asking for it. When we must, however, we try and keep it to the absolute minimum, and we delete or destroy it as soon as practicable.

Oh, and it's a one time thing. We won't ask you again unless something changes.

73 -fred

KP4SX likes this.
  10. AA7BQ

And some people have submitted their medical marijuana cards having a picture ID. We don't care as long as it's a photo id that is government issued.

N2NOW likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.