How to Become a Verified Member

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Gear For Sale' started by AA7BQ, May 28, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
  1. N0CEL

N0CEL Ham Member QRZ Page

It WAS easy, and I am not anywhere near IT class :p I just browse here every day, and us the Logbook! I guess my curiosity got the best of me. I am just waiting on the email, now. This hobby is supposed to be fun. Quit complaining folks, or just back away from "The Table"! TY again, Fred et al and 73 Carl de NĂ˜CEL :cool:

2. W1WWA

W1WWA Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Took all of 5 minutes to complete just waiting for my verified email back.. I don't use LOTW so I submitted a GID..

I for one am glad this is happening, I was one of the members who was scammed last week, Luckily PayPal was quick and got my money back, All of $833.00 was recoveerd !!
    Anyone complaining about (2FA) is being ridiculous, 99.9% of us all have cellphones and computers so stop the whining. This may not be the end all but it sure will help.

Great job QRZ'd IT team... keep it up, and Thanks, Kurt W1WWA

KS4W likes this.
  3. WA7ARZ

WA7ARZ Ham Member QRZ Page

If it says "Your browser did not supply any certificates", just restart your computer and try again. That is what I had to do to make it work.

4. VP9KF

VP9KF Ham Member QRZ Page

No cell coverage here at home, so of no use. Your attitude is the same as Capital One who just lost a lot of (our) money because every transaction has to be done by cell phone on all new accounts being opened. They didn't seem to care. "We'll send you a final answer within 10 working days". They never did! I don't object to people using cell phones because they foolishly think that their transactions are secure, but to have it forced upon people who CAN'T use the 'system' is another thing. This forum will suffer because of it.

KE0HTG likes this.
  5. K2SDS

K2SDS XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I see no similarities. QRZ is a free site that immensely benefits the ham radio community. Capital One is a major banking institution. 99.9 % of the population lives within a cellular service area, you chose not to. And as previously posted, 2 factor authentication is possible using an internet connected PC. And for the record, I don't speak for QRZ nor represent them. My attitude is my own.

AJ4GQ likes this.
  6. KD5RKO

KD5RKO Ham Member QRZ Page

You can actually sign up for a free google voice account as well, which gives you a phone number which can receive text messages and log in to view in your browser. Many ways to skin a cat, as they say. My "landline" phone is actually a Google voice number tied to an OBI200 VOIP adapter, which was a one time expense. It exists solely for the purpose of sending the occasional fax and letting my daughter have a phone to use without tying up our cell phones. But you don't even need that to just use for receiving text messages. If you want to you can even leave voice messages and it will transcribe them to text or you can play on your computer.
    voice.JPG

Last edited by a moderator: May 31, 2019
    KJ4VTH and AA7BQ like this.
  7. AG6QR

AG6QR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

It took about three hours last night, but I finally got it done, using my LoTW certificate.
    1. I use TSQL only on my Mac. Since that's the machine where I have it set up, I started there. I exported the cert from TSQL. Easy!
    2. Tried the process on my Mac using Safari. It told me my browser wasn't supplying any matching certificates. I repeated process many times, trying slight variations, but no luck.
    3. Switched to Firefox on my Mac. The instructions had an obvious problem, because they stop before you import the certificate into the browser, but I imported the certificate anyway, and still no luck. Repeated several variations with identical results, my browser wasn't supplying the right certificate.
    4. Abandoned the Mac, copied the cert from my Mac over to my Windows laptop. Took 45 minutes to log into qrz.com on the laptop, because 2FA was turned on, and the text messages weren't making it to my phone, despite repeated attempts. But eventually the logjam was broken and I got a dozen authorization codes in a matter of a couple of seconds.
    5. Once I got logged in to qrz on Windows, the process was quick and easy using the Edge browser.
    I could not get this process to work on the Mac, no matter what I tried. The fact that the only diagnostic said that no matching certificate was found, without saying what criteria needed to match, nor where it was searching, nor what non-matching certificates it looked at, meant that I was left to take wild guesses at what might be wrong.

WN3F likes this.
  8. AA7BQ

AA7BQ QRZ Founder Administrator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Richard,

Thanks for having patience and sticking with it to the end. You're an advanced user and that's a big advantage. In a discussion with the folks at LoTW the other day, it was related to me that a full 50% of all LoTW problems that come in to their support desk can be attributed to the user's lack of basic computing skills. I SO wish that we could do something about that, but TQSL is what we have to deal with, and it is uncompromising.

On our end, we simply use the certificate that the user uploads, and sometimes these are the farthest things from a valid certificate. Why? Because 50% of our users have no idea how a certificate works, what it looks like, or where to find it. We can't fix that either. We also are incapable of duplicating their environment such that we could see the same thing that they're seeing. It just can't be done because there is literally no telling what is sitting on their desktop. About the only thing that we have to rely on is 1) the fact that it is known to work in testing, and that we've tested it repeatedly, and 2) that thousands of actual users are using it successfully. Armed with that knowledge, we can at least be confident that our system works, albeit only if properly fed. When something isn't working, it's never QRZ's fault in this respect, or at least it has never been shown so. In 100% of all support cases thus far, it was _something_ on the user's end that was wrong whether it was operator error (high likelihood), or a computer problem on his end (less likely). It's a funny thing that people stop listening when you tell them that the problem is on their end because they just want us to fix it for them. From the remote end, it's always QRZ's fault, no matter what.

I'll be frank in saying that we could "send an engineer over there" to help walk you through it, step by step, but I think that everyone reading this knows that this will never happen. For every person working at QRZ, there are more than 100,000 members to take care of. "Now serving number 12,343..."

We're going to explore starting a crowdsourced support forum where folks can go for answers, advice, and tips from other users who've already done it. This is working well for the ARRL at https://groups.io/g/ARRL-LoTW and we're likely to follow suit soon with a new forum dedicated to the QRZ Logbook and TQSL topics.

P.S. SMS is not the best choice for 2FA logins. Get the APP!

73 -fred

Last edited: Jun 1, 2019
    KA0ZRW, KD5RKO and K2SDS like this.
  9. KD5RKO

KD5RKO Ham Member QRZ Page

Would that be a sub forum here under the QRZ umbrella or elsewhere? Just curious. And thank you for all the effort that you guys put in!

10. AA7BQ

AA7BQ QRZ Founder Administrator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

We haven't decided that yet. If it were hosted at groups.io, it could be truly independent and moderated by volunteers. Otherwise, we're happy to host it here, however, the forum would be governed by our existing rules and policies and some participants might view that as censorship.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.