How to Become a Verified Member

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Gear For Sale' started by AA7BQ, May 28, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. AA7BQ

AA7BQ QRZ Founder Administrator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Now, this is ridiculous. You're making it sound as if we're running an ID collection factory here. Your privacy hasn't gone anywhere. Here's what we saw when we examined your "license":
    Screen Shot 2019-06-13 at 1.53.05 PM.png

You don't get points for trying. We actually have to receive the document in order to approve it.

-fred

N3AB and AJ4GQ like this.
  2. KP4SX

KP4SX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

W7UUU likes this.
  3. AJ4GQ

AJ4GQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Sorry Bill, my mistake. It wasn't until after the edit time ran out that I realized you were just having a little fun. Hart

W7UUU likes this.
  4. W4CP

W4CP Ham Member QRZ Page

There was another thing that was not clear. I uploaded a PHOTO, but it was in a PDF file. I thought that would be fine. Adobe owns that part of the world not owned by Alphabet/Google, Apple, Amazon and Alibaba. But apparently that is not what is required in this situation.

So now I have uploaded a beautiful (considering the subject), FULL COLOR jpeg of my DL with my picture on it. And, I can see it in the little "view screen" area where I was not aware that it should be visible.

So maybe the second time is the charm.

Curt W4CP

BTW, the Chinese already have TWO complete copies of my fingerprints from their break-in to the gov't database, as well as my complete work history and other detailed data required to be submitted to get my government access card and other government access, so I'm not sure I have much left to hide.

5. AA7BQ

Excellent. You are now Verified! Thanks Curt!

W4CP and W7UUU like this.
  6. AA7BQ

As of this afternoon, 5193 hams have attained Verified status. Of those, 4009 used their LoTW certificate signature instead of an ID photo.

This is extremely encouraging. Thanks all!

K2HAT, KA3BQE, W4PG and 1 other person like this.
  7. W4CP

W4CP Ham Member QRZ Page

Thank you.

8. W7BBQ

W7BBQ Ham Member QRZ Page

I wonder why these would have no identification value. They can only be downloaded from the FCC ULS by the holder of the license. Or someone they have shared their password with. At least the official copy (hence echolink requires the official copy, not the reference copy of a license for access validation).

And as to a photo ID, what are the staff folks comparing the photo to? Unless there is something to compare the photo to (ie person is standing in front of you), a photo on an ID seems ..... of exceptionally limited value as an ID document.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2019
    KB2SUJ likes this.
  9. NN4RH

NN4RH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

The license holder can download an "Official Copy" but everything on it is public information. Anyone can download anyone else's "Reference Copy", which is identical except for the gray marking saying either "Official" or "Reference", and the Reference copy uses a Geneva style font while the Official copy uses a Times style font. It seems to me that it would be possible for someone to take that information from the Reference Copy, and create a pretty good fake Official Copy.

10. NN4RH

NN4RH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

The privacy/security concerns with sending in an image of a drivers license are pretty serious, in my opinion. I would not do it without blotting out all information on the DL except my name and address and photo.

My current drivers license, which is Real-ID compliant now, has a lot of stuff on it that is of no identification value to anyone unless they have access to a Government database, as well as Personally Identifiable Information (PII) that should always be kept private. All sorts of numbers, fine print, bar codes and scan codes.

Speaking for myself, I would not upload a RealID for identification purposes here or any other commercial web site, without first using an image-editing app to blot out all the numbers, fine print, bar and scan codes, birth dates, etc; leaving ONLY information that is already public, specifically name, address, and maybe photo.

The DL/RealID contains other "security features" that while not showing personal information, do sort of confirm that the document is "real". Maybe that would be enough.

A year or so ago, I got Verified this way because I could not get the LOTW method to work. There must of been enough information left on that heavily edited DL image for them to feel safe that I was Me. But it turned out that the 2FA was a nuisance since I had multiple computers and devices that I used to log into QRZ, and did not habitually carry my iphone around with me to receive one-time-codes. So I killed the 2FA, which killed the Veified.

Decided to give it another try again. But this time I eventually got the LOTW method to work (hint: Use Firefox, not Safari or Chrome, and manually put the .p12 into the Firefox certificate store)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.