How Prepared Are You?

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KM4ACK, Sep 19, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. CM2JSD

CM2JSD Ham Member QRZ Page

Friends, I live in the Caribbean Sea, in Havana, in my country every year we feel the impact the powerful hurricanes. in my little experience in emergency case, I said we´re preparaid. It´s import have a portable radio (2 meters) or good idea to have a family disaster plan. I tell you, a good training help save life. Say hello to all. 73

WA4CZD, W7ASA and N0TZU like this.
  2. WA5VGO

WA5VGO Ham Member QRZ Page

A cell phone, a week worth of groceries, 10 gallons of water per person, a flashlight with spare batteries, a portable radio and blankets. A generator with fuel if you’re so inclined. Anything more is unfounded paranoia.

3. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

I hope you're right ... for your family's sake. Defense by platitudes isn't defense at all.

W7ASA likes this.
  4. W0AEW

W0AEW Ham Member QRZ Page

Grid down? Find another!

5. K5XOM

K5XOM Ham Member QRZ Page

Personally I don't see government agencies needing communications help from Amateur stations. The government has a ton more resources that any group of amateur operators could provide. It's my opinion that all we hams will do is keep in touch with one another and pass on information pertinent to what ever is happening to one another. Don't rely on the government, be prepared, be self sufficient. Happy Hamming.

ND6M, W5UAA and W7ASA like this.
  6. W5UAA

W5UAA Ham Member QRZ Page

K5XOM, I partially agree with you.

As someone who was tasked to test communications equipment for interoperable communications between all branches of the U.S. military (secure telephones and computers/data networks) for 3 years (before, during and after the event of September 11, 2001) at the Joint Interoperability Test Command at Ft. Huachuca, AZ, let me say this:

Google terms like:

"current state of emergency communications between local, state and federal agencies"
    "Interoperable Communications for First Responders"

And you'll see "our government" is still struggling with interoperable communications. The different agencies are still saying their systems work best for them and everybody else should migrate to their systems while other agencies are still saying -that system- won't work for them so they're not buying it and they're sticking with *their* systems.

When a natural disaster happens and the federal government declares it "a disaster area", all that does is allocate federal money to be spent on the local area. How is it spent? (beside the corruption it promotes...) Well, the federal agencies send in people and the problem of effective communications and interoperable communications becomes an issue.

Still, the only solution is for the federal agency to bring their own radio equipment and try to set up as close as possible or, if possible, co-locate with the local 911 office. (They talk with their local first responders every day via radio, so they're already good at it.) Along with the existing radios used to coordinate local fire and police, another radio (and another person) is placed in there to communicate with the deployed FEMA folks (or whoever else) and to yell across desks in the 911 office to the local folks to coordinate efforts. And if that's not possible, cell phones.

So, yes, our government has plenty of resources to get the emergency communications through if they're serious about it and enough money is allocated.

But, no, our state of interoperable communications at different levels of government is still in a state of disarray.

Right now, as far as I can see, the integration of Ham Radio into (*real*) emergency communications depends on the state of the *current relationship* between our local first responders and our local ham club. The key is to find out if there are any weaknesses at the local 911 communications center (right now! Before the disaster happens!) and sell the idea to them that Ham Radio can fill those gaps so they can integrate ham radio into their plans. That way, they're ready for you when you show up immediately after the disaster happens as they are transitioning to a mode of chaos/crisis management as the "mode of ops de jour".

Waiting for a disaster to wreck the local area and *then* showing up at the local 911 call center and asking, "what can we do to help?" is too late to participate in any meaningful way. They're going to be too busy with other things to think about making you *feel good* about participating.

Outside of that, the only thing we're good at is passing health and welfare traffic. For that, without prior advertising, we'll be sitting at our well built, fully functioning, off-grid, DC-LIGHT, all mode, local to global communications systems with no traffic to pass and people out there wondering if their family members are still ok.

I've mentioned this before:

#1. PLAN
    #2. PRACTICE

PA0MHS likes this.
  7. KI4ZUI

KI4ZUI Ham Member QRZ Page

Will moniter, receive, digest your transmit but will not respond. Hanging back in defilade to survive your attack.

W5UAA and WN1MB like this.
  8. W5UAA

W5UAA Ham Member QRZ Page

Given the state of my local ham club and depending on the severity of the current situation, chances are this will be my initial posture also.

9. N2TLR

N2TLR Ham Member QRZ Page

Ammo. Lots and lots of ammo.

And the willingness to use it.

K3XR, NL7W, KD9NXQ and 2 others like this.
  10. W4RAV

W4RAV Ham Member QRZ Page

And hopefully enough training and skills to not shoot any good guys! :)

N2TLR likes this.