How much snow?

Discussion in 'ex-Rag Chew Central' started by KA9MOT, Feb 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-assoc
ad: l-Waters
ad: L-rfparts
ad: l-rl
ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-sarc
ad: l-innov
ad: L-Geochron
  1. KA9MOT

KA9MOT Ham Member QRZ Page

It snowed here for about 12 hours yesterday........How much snow did I get?

We had 20 MPH winds out of the Southeast. Technically, the snow in my Yard actually fell a few miles from here. Consequently it's not my snow. Who has my snow? How do I measure it?

The National Weather Service says I should have anywhere from 4 inches to 12 inches. As I look in my yard I see about 2 inches in the middle of the yard, 4 inches close to the house and 8 or 9 inches about 2 feet from the western wall of my garage. The bed of my pickup has about 3 inches on the right side and 12 inches on the left.

I thought maybe the neighbors stole some of my snow, but it looks like they have the same conditions as I. Maybe I should have written my name on my snow with a black Sharpie like my mom does with my underwear.....

I checked with our local TV station and they aren't saying........ It's a big secret......

So, how much snow did you get? Did you get any of my snow? If you got any of mine, would you give it back? Would you like some of mine? We could swap or work out some other arrangement.

2. KB9OFM

KB9OFM Ham Member QRZ Page

Morning Steve,only got about 3 inches so far,
    more coming later. Come and get it.:)

Good day Dennis

3. N9ZMO

N9ZMO XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Two inches of snow so far here, wind is blowing. We are supposed to get up to 5 inches of snow today.

Not a big deal, this is, after all, Wisconsin. The media has to make every snowfall seem like snowmageddeon.

4. K8MHZ

K8MHZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Looks like we got about 6 with drifts. I'll have do get the snowblower out again. 6 with drifts means 0 to 12, and if the 12 is across the drive that sucks.

This should just about be the end of the snow storms. Now we can get to our freezing rain, then spring. We get at least one 70 degree day in March here. Last year, at my house on March 20, we hit 88 degrees. Official temp at the airport, 10 miles closer to Lake Michigan was 84.

No, it's not unusual to go from 24 (like today) to 84 in 3-4 weeks here.

I'll take the 84, please....

5. AB8MA

AB8MA Ham Member QRZ Page

+1. But 85 is as high as I want it to get. :)

6. KA9VQF

KA9VQF Ham Member QRZ Page

I have around 5 inches in the yard. I have shoveled the snow away from where I park out front several times through the night. That doesn't stop the dude with the snowplow from finding a lot of snow to block my car in with.

I swear he brings it in from other streets just to roll it up against my car.

There is a spot just down the block that he is supposed to clear first so that those of us who care to can move our vehicles so he can do a better job of plowing where we normally park. It is yet to be cleared. I'm usually the only one who actually does move my buggy so it doesn't help much.

I'm not totally sure the neighbors van will even start, that makes them much harder to move ya know.

The kid even went out to shovel once. There was enough of a breeze to cause some drifting out there through the night but the wind seems very calm just now it is snowing again last I looked though.

Oddly enough they did not call school off today. Some of the other schools around had a 2 hour delay.

7. K8MHZ

K8MHZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Maybe it's worse than I thought. Here is a list of Western Michigan (Just my side, not the entire state) schools closed today:

[TABLE]
    [TR]
    [TD="bgcolor: #EEEEEE"]Ada Christian School: Closed Today[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD="bgcolor: #DDDDDD"]Ada Village Pre-School: Closed.[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD="bgcolor: #EEEEEE"]Advanced Beginnings Learning Center: Closed Today[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD="bgcolor: #DDDDDD"]AgeWell Services Meals on Wheels: Closed; All Muskegon and Oceana Co., NW Ottawa Co.[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD="bgcolor: #EEEEEE"]Algoma Christian School: Closed., Wee Knights Child Care Open.[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD="bgcolor: #DDDDDD"]American Legion #179 Bingo: Closed Today[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD="bgcolor: #EEEEEE"]Big Jackson School: Closed.[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD="bgcolor: #DDDDDD"]Big Jackson Schools: Closed Today[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD="bgcolor: #EEEEEE"]Booker Inst. Cosmetology - Musk.: Closed Today; Muskegon Campus Only[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD="bgcolor: #DDDDDD"]Brockway Christian Academy: Closed Today[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD="bgcolor: #EEEEEE"]Caledonia Community Schools: Senior Center Closed .[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD="bgcolor: #DDDDDD"]Calvary Christian - Fruitport: Closed Today[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD="bgcolor: #EEEEEE"]Central Montcalm Public School: Pre School afternoon and Mardi Grad dance cancelled.[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD="bgcolor: #DDDDDD"]Cornerstone Christian Academy - Fremont: Closed Today[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD="bgcolor: #EEEEEE"]Covenant Kids PreSchool: Closed Today[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD="bgcolor: #DDDDDD"]Curves - North Muskegon: Closed Today[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD="bgcolor: #EEEEEE"]Curves - Norton Shores: Closed Today[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD="bgcolor: #DDDDDD"]Curves at The Pointes: Closed Today[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD="bgcolor: #EEEEEE"]Daniels Hairstyling Academy: Closed Today[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD="bgcolor: #DDDDDD"]Dog Star Ranch: No Bus: Spring Lake, Fruitport, Grand Haven, Montague, Whitehall[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD="bgcolor: #EEEEEE"]Fellowship Senior Center - Muskegon: Closed Today[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD="bgcolor: #DDDDDD"]Forest Hills Presbyterian Preschool: Closed Today[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD="bgcolor: #EEEEEE"]Forest Hills Public Schools: Closed.[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD="bgcolor: #DDDDDD"]Fruitland Township Hall: Closed Today; All Services Canceled[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD="bgcolor: #EEEEEE"]Fruitport Community Schools: Closed Today[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD="bgcolor: #DDDDDD"]Grand Haven Area Public Schools: Closed Today; Open Door at Central School only.[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD="bgcolor: #EEEEEE"]Grand Haven Christian School: Closed Today[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD="bgcolor: #DDDDDD"]Grand Rapids Christian H.S.: Closed.[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD="bgcolor: #EEEEEE"]Grand Rapids Christian M.S.: Closed.[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD="bgcolor: #DDDDDD"]Grand Rapids Gymnastics: Closed A.M. for Preschool Classes and Open Gym; Evening Classes and Team Practice still running[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD="bgcolor: #EEEEEE"]Grant Public Schools: We will not be sending 7th Grade to Festival @ Mona Shores.[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD="bgcolor: #DDDDDD"]Greenville Public Schools: No PM Preschool; No transportation to PM Career Center or Ombudsman[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD="bgcolor: #EEEEEE"]Hart Public Schools: Closed Today[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD="bgcolor: #DDDDDD"]Holton Public Schools: Closed Today[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD="bgcolor: #EEEEEE"]Kent City Community Schools: Transportation will not be running .[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD="bgcolor: #DDDDDD"]Kinderkirk Preschool: Closed Today[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD="bgcolor: #EEEEEE"]Krater Dance Clinic: Closed Today; Ben Hayward's Ballet Performance Rescheduled For 2/24[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD="bgcolor: #DDDDDD"]Lakeshore Dance Academy: Closed Today[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD="bgcolor: #EEEEEE"]Lakeshore Yoga Center: Closed Today[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD="bgcolor: #DDDDDD"]Life Circles- Muskegon: Open, but no transportation[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD="bgcolor: #EEEEEE"]Little Red House Daycare: Closed Today[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD="bgcolor: #DDDDDD"]Lowell Area Schools: Closed., CLOSED.[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD="bgcolor: #EEEEEE"]Mamrelund Lutheran - Kent City: Food Pantry Closed Today[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD="bgcolor: #DDDDDD"]Mona Shores Public: Closed., Childcare Open, Latchkey Closed.[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD="bgcolor: #EEEEEE"]Montague Area Public Schools: Closed.[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD="bgcolor: #DDDDDD"]Montcalm ISD Transportation: No PM Little People Land .[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD="bgcolor: #EEEEEE"]Musk. Cath. Central Elem. School: Closed.[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD="bgcolor: #DDDDDD"]Muskegon Area Career Tech Center: Closed.[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD="bgcolor: #EEEEEE"]Muskegon Area ISD: Two Hour Delay.[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD="bgcolor: #DDDDDD"]Muskegon Catholic Schools: Closed.[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD="bgcolor: #EEEEEE"]Muskegon Christian School: Closed Today[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD="bgcolor: #DDDDDD"]Muskegon Heights School District: Closed.[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD="bgcolor: #EEEEEE"]Muskegon Public Schools: Closed.[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD="bgcolor: #DDDDDD"]Muskegon SDA School: Closed Today[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD="bgcolor: #EEEEEE"]New Community Preschool - Daycare: Closed Today[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD="bgcolor: #DDDDDD"]New Era Christian School: Closed Today[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD="bgcolor: #EEEEEE"]North Muskegon Public Schools: Closed Today[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD="bgcolor: #DDDDDD"]NorthPointe Christian Schools: Closed.[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD="bgcolor: #EEEEEE"]Oakridge Public Schools: Closed.[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD="bgcolor: #DDDDDD"]Oceana Christian School: Closed Today[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD="bgcolor: #EEEEEE"]Oceana Co. Council on Aging: Closed Today[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD="bgcolor: #DDDDDD"]Orchard View Schools: Closed Today[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD="bgcolor: #EEEEEE"]Our Savior Lutheran School - GR: Closed.[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD="bgcolor: #DDDDDD"]Providence Christian HS: Closed Today[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD="bgcolor: #EEEEEE"]Ravenna Public Schools: Closed.[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD="bgcolor: #DDDDDD"]Reeths-Puffer Schools: Closed.[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD="bgcolor: #EEEEEE"]Salvation Army - Fulton Heights: The Salvation Army Senior Program Closed[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD="bgcolor: #DDDDDD"]Shelby Public Schools: Closed.[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD="bgcolor: #EEEEEE"]South Olive Christian School: Closed Today[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD="bgcolor: #DDDDDD"]Sparta Area Schools: no RITS/ISD Transportation out of Sparta .[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD="bgcolor: #EEEEEE"]Spring Lake Public Schools: Closed Today[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD="bgcolor: #DDDDDD"]St. John Lutheran School - Gr. Haven: Closed Today[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD="bgcolor: #EEEEEE"]St. Joseph Co. Commission On Aging: Closed Tomorrow; All Services Canceled; No meals on wheels[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD="bgcolor: #DDDDDD"]St. Marys School - Spring Lake: Closed Today[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD="bgcolor: #EEEEEE"]St. Matthew Lutheran School Spring Lk.: No AM Preschool, Childcare Open[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD="bgcolor: #DDDDDD"]St. Patricks - Parnell: Closed Today; No Before/After Care[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD="bgcolor: #EEEEEE"]Stepping Stones Montessori School: Closed Today; weather and staff illness[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD="bgcolor: #DDDDDD"]Three Oaks Public School Academy: Closed Today[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD="bgcolor: #EEEEEE"]Three Rivers Community Schools: Closed.[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD="bgcolor: #DDDDDD"]Timberland Charter Academy: Closed Today; All Staff Report[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD="bgcolor: #EEEEEE"]Vicksburg Community Schools: Closed.[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD="bgcolor: #DDDDDD"]Walkerville Public Schools: Closed Today[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD="bgcolor: #EEEEEE"]Waypoint Academy: Closed Today[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD="bgcolor: #DDDDDD"]Wesley School: Closed.[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD="bgcolor: #EEEEEE"]West MI Academy of Arts and Academics: Closed.[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD="bgcolor: #DDDDDD"]West MI Academy of Environ. Science: Closed Today[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD="bgcolor: #EEEEEE"]West Michigan Aviation Academy: Closed Today[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD="bgcolor: #DDDDDD"]West Shore Lutheran School: Preschool-8th Grade Closed, Childcare Open[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD="bgcolor: #EEEEEE"]Western MI Christian: Closed Today[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD="bgcolor: #DDDDDD"]Whitehall School District: Closed.[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD="bgcolor: #EEEEEE"]Winter Sun Schoolhouse: Penn Campus Closed; Whitehall Road Campus Open for Childcare at 10am[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]

8. N2ADV

N2ADV Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Literally a 10 minute drive from here, they got like 2.5 feet over the past couple days. I can still see grass at my house. Grrr (I want snow).

9. N8CPA

N8CPA Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

As predicted in our WWA, we got freezing rain and sleet. It woke me up hitting the window. Just the sound of it made me hunker down deeper under the blanket and quilt. And the sound penetrated my sleep so that I dreamed of it hitting my face, and feeling like the long edge of a razor blade down my cheeks.

So as the sun rose and the morning brightened through the cloud cover, I can see out the window that a dusting of snow is over the ice. Precipitation like that is why February should be banned!!!

10. W5DQ

W5DQ Ham Member QRZ Page

We've been inandated with about 4 inches of snow in the last ......... 6 years.

Probably about the same amount of rain in the last ............ 2 years.

But it was 32 this morning on the way to work. A brisk motorcycle ride of .............. 9 minutes. I almost got cold. :D

BTW in case you haven't figured it out ......... I live in the Mojave Desert of Southern California. To me, it is unfathomable why anyone would live where there is ACTUAL measureable snow accumulation. We have snow here but it is in the mountains (not too far away) where it belongs and if I want some, I go VISIT it there and then come back to a warm climate. ;)

11. K0RGR

K0RGR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

We've had a pretty dry winter except for some rain a couple weeks ago, but I would guess we've had 5-6 inches of rather heavy 'snit' - our affectionate term for the frozen precip we get here. The forecast is for 1-3 today and another half inch tonight.

My wife feeds the birds and the squirrels on our back deck. Today, their corn is buried, so the squirrels are digging it out. I see squirrels disappear into the snow, and resurface a little while later to eat their prize. They haven't knocked on the back door to beg for more yet. That's not really a joke, I guess they can see or smell the corn inside the back door, so they throw their bodies into the glass trying to get in.

12. K8PG

K8PG Subscriber QRZ Page

56 inches last 5 days 1 1/2 miles south of Lake Superior

13. NL7W

NL7W Ham Member QRZ Page

It's blown up here... I picked up 2 inches last night. :)

14. NL7W

NL7W Ham Member QRZ Page

Yikes! :)

15. K0RGR

K0RGR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Lake effect snow - fortunately we don't get that very often, but once in a while a big storm will wrap around enough to pick up some of that moisture and deliver it here. That's when you see the big earth-moving equipment out moving the snow. We really haven't had a winter like that recently, but the forecast looks mighty snowy for the next week or so.

The old timers around here tell stories of snow drifts so high, the tops of telephone poles were within reach. I think in the 20 years we've been here, we had one time with more than 8' on the ground. The city and the businesses run out of places to put the snow long before that. The city dumps the snow from downtown in some big fields here, and they've filled that up more than once.

I hear the snowplows going by right now. That means I have to shovel if I need to get out. I pay somebody to do my snow removal, and I hope they show up before I have to go anywhere.

16. KA9VQF

KA9VQF Ham Member QRZ Page

Right after I shoveled things up here we went off to eat at a place my wife volunteers at. Its called The Table. Anyone can come in and eat there but its mostly older folks. Anyway while we were gone the snow plow dude came and rolled more snow into my parking spot.

He did have the spot down the way where your supposed to park while he is plowing cleared finally so I parked there. I had to help my wife get over the snow he put in our parking spot then shovel things back out of the way again.

My daughter had to go to a doctors appointment and she and my wife took off at 2pm now its 3:15 and I can hear the snow plow dude out there again. It sounds like he is indeed pushing snow from down the block just to have enough to refill all I had shoveled out.

17. G0GQK

G0GQK Ham Member QRZ Page

Saw some nice pictures of snow in Kansas, trucks and cars stranded in deep snow. I didn't bother to send any pictures because most of you have seen snow before

Mel G0GQK

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.