how much does it cost to fill a weather balloon?

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by KD5ZEW, May 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-assoc
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-rfparts
ad: l-Waters
ad: l-innov
ad: l-gcopper
  1. KD5ZEW

KD5ZEW Ham Member QRZ Page

how much does the helium cost to fill one of those 6-8' weather balloons?

2. KC2UGV

KC2UGV Ham Member QRZ Page

Can't be more than $75, which is about the price of a 50 lbs cylinder of helium (Short of the deposit on the tank).

3. W9GB

W9GB Ham Member QRZ Page

Check your local helium prices (prices tripled in some parts of the USA over past 2 years) -- lowest prices in USA is in your part of Texas where it is extracted and stored!

w9gb

4. K8ERV

K8ERV Ham Member QRZ Page

I bet the Wx Service gets it holessell.

TOM K8ERV Montrose Colo

5. KL7AJ

KL7AJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Yeah, I'd use hydrogen. Much cheaper, especially if you "roll your own." :D

6. K7MH

K7MH Ham Member QRZ Page

I can't believe you would even ask the cost! It is well substantiated that most hams are full of hot air so it shouldn't be hard to get it done for free and not need helium!!:D

7. NA0AA

NA0AA Ham Member QRZ Page

4(3.141592)r^3/3 = volume. That is Four Times Pi time Radius Cubed, all divided by three.

8' diameter ballon holds 268 cubic feet, plus just a skosh since the balloon compresses it a few torr.

8. ZL3GSL

ZL3GSL Ham Member QRZ Page

I've seen a suggestion that the world will run out of helium in a few years because NASA are using so much. :(

Hydrogen is great, but be very careful. You must earth everything ... hydogen is very inflammable at any mix with air. When I lowered the balloon, I just threw a pair of scissors at the balloon. A few shreds of rubber fell to the ground. The balloon is a capacitor and the atmospheric voltage gradient is about 100V/m, so as the balloon goes high it is charged to a high voltage.

9. KD5ZEW

KD5ZEW Ham Member QRZ Page

Throwing scissors in the air at a fragile sphere pressurized with extremely flammable gas that may be carring a Very high voltage charge.........

here's your sign =)
    I love ham radio

10. K8ERV

K8ERV Ham Member QRZ Page

3.1415926 Please get it right---

TOM K8ERV Montrose Colo

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.