How much data does Dstar use?

Discussion in 'Working Different Modes' started by AK7AN, Jun 9, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
  1. AK7AN

AK7AN Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I am going to build a Dstar Simplex access point and was wondering about running it on our Verizon MiFi. We have a 5GB a month plan and don't want the Dstar to hog all of that up. The MiFi will not be the primary internet access for the gateway, just when I am home and my wife is working. She is a teleworker for Aetna Insurance and the home internet is not available while she is working.
    Thank
    Ed
    AK7AN

2. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

The best thing to do is measure the usage.

No one can tell the true data that you will use.

I only use 100 meg a month using Allstar 24/7, But your mile will vary.

3. AK7AN

AK7AN Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I guess I will just have to try it and monitor data usage.. I assume that the more you use it the more data it would consume..
    Thanks
    Ed
    AK7AN

4. KA9JLM

It will mater how much traffic is on frequency.

I was worried about the same thing at first also. Then after monitoring data usage it was fine.

My wife uses a lot more data watching silly stuff on her phone.

Windows 10 updates would kill my data limit. That is one reason I do not use it.

Have Fun.

KB0MNM likes this.
  5. KB0MNM

KB0MNM Ham Member QRZ Page

5 GB is a lot of data for text, yet graphics can eat it pretty fast. If you set up a Windows 7 PC for access, be aware that some Internet e-mail Systems ( eg. A T & T ) are now looking for special authorization software ( in explanation Oauth or Outlook, as in Office 2016 Pro ). The graphics of 'sign-on' should not count against your 5GB limit, but you could consider a 'text-only' system for all except 'authorized users'. If you password-protect access to the Internet, and set up a separate text-based 'bulletin board' system, you should find it easy to stay under the limit. One reliable BBS mail system used to be TBBS ( as in The Bulletin Board System ). I can not advise you how best to solve the 'sort-it-by text or graphics' problem, but that is why you *may* want to look at that part first.

6. KB0MNM

5 GB is a lot of data for text, yet graphics can eat it pretty fast. If you set up a Windows 7 PC for access, be aware that some Internet e-mail Systems ( eg. A T & T ) are now looking for special authorization software ( in explanation Oauth or Outlook, as in Office 2016 Pro ). The graphics of 'sign-on' should not count against your 5GB limit, but you could consider a 'text-only' system for all except 'authorized users'. If you password-protect access to the Internet, and set up a separate text-based 'bulletin board' system, you should find it easy to stay under the limit. One reliable BBS mail system used to be TBBS ( as in The Bulletin Board System ). I can not advise you how best to solve the 'sort-it-by text or graphics' problem, but that is why you *may* want to look at that part first.

7. KB0MNM

KA9JLM likes this.
  8. KA9JLM

There is a echo in this thread.

I have noticed dupe posts happening in the forums lately for some reason.

9. KB0MNM

That is because the confirmation did not come back that the message had been sent. I will take credit for one accidental push on the Post Reply button after the system failed to indicate it had been posted. That accounts for two of three...