ad: IACantenna-1

How long after Exam?

Discussion in 'Becoming an Amateur Radio Operator/Upgrading Privi' started by KD9KZV, May 11, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: l-assoc
ad: Subscribe
  1. ND6M

ND6M Ham Member QRZ Page

Sigh.................. See post $12, I think you will find out.

BTW, I didn't even bother to read your analogy.

2. AB3TQ

AB3TQ Subscriber QRZ Page

I really didn't read it either, but can't you just let a guy who is having a bad week vent a little bit?

KD9KZV likes this.
  3. KD9KZV

KD9KZV Member QRZ Page

No kidding right! I know I was whining but venting to sympathetic ears helps one feel better. Thanks for listening. :D

4. KD9KZV

KD9KZV Member QRZ Page

My analogy was good man. I'm generally good at those. Read it sometime and try to empathize, good skill to develop and refine.

5. KD9KZV

KD9KZV Member QRZ Page

Might be better to let this account crash and burn. This grief stricken period doesn't well represent me. I'm better than this... normally. Okay, I was whining a bit. This whole thing was dredging up old memories. Part of it was cognitive dissonance - I REALLY studied hard for those exams, more than I needed to really. Can't tell you how much I wanted the brass ring after all of that.

Anyway, I do have a vanity in mind, mostly a simple initials thing with a variant for the middle initial. Still available in a 1X3 call.

We have a couple of HTs and we'll likely expand into some mobiles next. HF will likely have to wait a bit but I really do want to do some DXing. With Field Day coming maybe I can make some DX contacts.

Thanks for the sympathetic ear. 73's

6. AB3TQ

Just as an interesting exercise in searching the ULS, you have had all the information you needed since the original post to look up Bob's callsign (the Advanced Search feature really narrows it down). It just was not there before. Now it is. The strange part is that his wife, who was at the same session, still has not been entered into the ULS. That seems a bit odd.

If Bob does have to call the VE, I hope he shares with us anything he is able to learn. Now I am curious to know how that could happen.

7. KU4X

KU4X Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Both are in the ULS. His was fully processed and he now has a call. Her application is in “Pending” status; it has been offlined for Alert List Review. Hopefully that will be cleared up Monday. (I’m assuming that no action will be taken over the weekend.)

Her application number: 0008208064

Regards,
    -Bruce

8. AB3TQ

Well, now you have taught me something about the ULS. I thought you were either in with an amateur license, or out without one. Now a pending "application" can have you half in and half out. Good to know I guess.

KU4X likes this.
  9. KD9KZV

KD9KZV Member QRZ Page

You guys are good. We're still waiting on her call. One of my Elmers suggested there was likely somebody with her name that caused some hold to get flagged so somebody from the FCC has to review her application now. She was VERY pleased that, of the two of us, she got the hold instead of me. The VEs never responded to any of my emails. I'm still suspicious that they mailed in the packet to ARRL a little late. Matters not anymore. I'm on the air. The local repeater "like me" (got the offset and PL all correct). I'm happy. She should clear hopefully next week. Now we have a HUGE new hobby to explore and enjoy. Heck, think I'll even join the ARRL today. :D

KU4X likes this.
  10. AB3TQ

Hers showed up as an actual license grant now, not just an "application". And that ironically is one of the most appropriate sequential amateur callsigns ever issued. There was most certainly some LAG in the process. Call her up on the radio and give her the good news.