How does the LOTW option in QRZ work?

Discussion in 'Logbook User Forum' started by KD0ZV, Nov 10, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
  1. KD0ZV

KD0ZV Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Can someone explain to me how the LOTW works in QRZ. By this I mean what order everything happens and what it is supposed to do?

Do we get QRZ award credit from our LOTW contacts? I assume that is what it is for.

My log stopped showing the shaded contacts from LOTW a few hundred contacts ago. I filled out a support request 3 days ago (yes I have a subscription that gives me support) and have not received an answer.

Everyone I have talked to including the logging software companies do not seem to know how QRZ handles this.

Rich
    kd0zv

2. W1DQ

W1DQ Logbook Administrator Volunteer Moderator Volunteer DX Helper Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

QRZ analyzes the QSO records in your logbook to determine confirmation status. Awards are based on the same plus the particular award field test.

QRZ awards, just as any other award system (LoTW, eQSL, etc.), are based on their own independent rules. QRZ requires QRZ confirmed records for credit. See: https://s3.amazonaws.com/files.qrz.com/static/qrz/operating-award-rules-v1.pdf

QRZ requires your and your worked party's QSO records to be confirmed by possessing matching callsigns, band, mode, and UTC time/date fields within a 30-minute window; however QRZ accepts (for QRZ awards) LoTW confirmed QSOs (when so downloaded) for equivalent credit.

Normally, when a record is uploaded to LoTW its shading is changed from no shade to green. However if a change is made to that record after uploading its shading is removed until once again uploaded. This is to my best knowledge; if not so it is up to Hqs to resolve.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2017
  3. KD0ZV

Thanks much. I assumed it was automatic but was not doing anything.

I just went into the QRZ settings and "Download from LOTW" and it shaded many of my contacts. I picked up several countries. Woo Hoo...

So if this should happen automatically it is not. Regardless I am glad I was able to confirm all those via LOTW!

Thank you John. Appreciate all you do on here.

Rich

4. KL4AD

KL4AD XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Rich glad that worked for you wish I could get that far I am still trying to figure out how to get my QRZ logbook contacts onto LoTW I am not very computer literate but I an follow directions, if only I could find ones to follow.
    Eric KL4AD

5. KD0ZV

All I have to say I am far from impressed with QRZ support. It took them an entire week and I finally gave up on them. They kept saying read the document and the document it's not even up today doesn't even show the function.

Having this level of support it's not even worth it.

That's said I'm pretty sure I can help you get your QR Z contacts synced with lotw

6. W1DQ

W1DQ Logbook Administrator Volunteer Moderator Volunteer DX Helper Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

If you need assistance from one that is more computer literate, then seek out a friend who is. In order for you to upload your QRZ contacts to LoTW you must first enable the LoTW Access feature; you have yet to do so - and, even before that, you must open an account with LoTW. Checking with LoTW, it appears that you have never uploaded anything to LoTW using ARRL TQSL so I question whether or not you have a LoTW account.

First - establish an account with LoTW at http://www.arrl.org/logbook-of-the-world

Second - enable LoTW Access feature in your QRZ Logbook; open your logbook, click on SETTINGS, then LoTW Access SETUP, and follow the "help" instructions that are also here: https://s3.amazonaws.com/files.qrz.com/static/qrz/lotw_cert_guide.pdf

Last edited: Nov 15, 2017
  7. KD0ZV

For anyone wondering, this is what is missing from the QRZ documentation. Even though support continually told me to read from pages 6 and up, there is nothing there about downloading/verifying LOTW contacts. Not even a summary of how it works or what you should expect.

W1DQ provided way more information than any of the QRZ documents or support.

You basically have to manually go in and continually "Download from LOTW" to get this to sync and turn green. Well according to my crappy support anyway :) /Rant

Once you get it to work it is very slick !

Rich
    kd0zv

Attached Files:

8. W1DQ

See this QRZ document:
    https://forums.qrz.com/index.php?threads/qrz-logbook-handbook.461300/

Sorry if it doesn't work as you assume it should. Happy you now consider it very slick.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2017
  9. KD0ZV

Awesome. That PDF linked on that forum post has up to date info !

10. KL4AD

KL4AD XML Subscriber QRZ Page

W1DQ, Thanks so much I successfully send QRZ logbook to LoTW!!! At least I got that far now from there I guess it is back to LoTW and attempt to figure out how to use that Logbook :) Honestly if more people would pay the nominal fee and use QRZ to confirm QSO's I would not have bothered to do LoTW. I am very comfortable using QRZ and will continue to do so. I would like to figure out how to copy my QRZ logbook to have a hard copy of my contacts, is that possible???