How do you microphone: handheld, desk, boom, headset

Discussion in 'Microphones, Speakers & Audio Processing' started by N0IOP, Nov 6, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: l-assoc
ad: Left-3
  1. KK4NSF

KK4NSF Ham Member QRZ Page

another classic! you just gotta love those old ribbon mics!

2. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

And if you go way back this microphone may get you "All Shock Up "
    [​IMG]

Thank You ....Thank You very much.

KK4NSF and K9ASE like this.
  3. N4UP

N4UP Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

All of the above here also, depending on circumstances.

Mobile rig has a hand mic, though I have also used a Pro-7 headset. I can copy weak CW and pull out pileup call signs with headphones far better than without.

Fixed station --- desk mic ( D-104 ) for the vintage rigs and Heil boom/mic for the modern rigs most of the time, with headphones usually. Sometimes I swap the headphones for the Pro-7 headset if I am running.

For fixed SSB I use a hand-held PTT, tried a foot-switch, didn't like it. For CW I usually operate semi-break-in ( QSK ). In my youth full break-in. Theses days at 30-35 wpm I prefer semi.

4. KC8RLU

KC8RLU Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm currently using the stock hand PTT mic that came with my TS-430S. Once I purchase the right cable and footswitch, I'll be switching over and hooking up the Electro Voice US607L mic I've got. I've already got a small desk stand that the mic will thread on to. Then after that, I'm probably going to invest in a Heil headset or equivalent that will work on my radio.

7 3 de KC8RLU

5. KE0ZU

KE0ZU Ham Member QRZ Page

I simply have a D-104 head in an articulated boom, and use a toggle T/R switch, at either end of the bench.

[​IMG]

KK4NSF likes this.
  6. KM3F

KM3F Ham Member QRZ Page

Boom with shock mounted Barringer XM8500.
    Custom made hand control with two momentary switch's, one push on push off for AM/FM uses and one miniature Toggle to activate the CW dot keyer on CW for tune up.
    Head set full time.

7. K5WY

K5WY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Headset always in the shack. I usually use a foot switch, but I have a thumb button wired in parallel to use if I'm rag chewing and want to lean back and put my feet up.

I've tried a few headsets: Yamaha CM500, Heil Proset Elite, Koss SB40 and SB45.

The CM500 was my first, very popular with the K3 crowd. Not as inexpensive as they used to be.

I didn't care for the SB40 and gave it to my son for gaming.

I didn't find the SB45 any better, or any worse, than the CM500 I'm using now, and gave it to my club where they use it on an IC7300.

The Heil was a door prize. I tried it and liked it, although it does clamp my head a little more than the Yamaha. I put it away for if, or when, the Yamaha fails.

8. VE3TMT

VE3TMT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Koss SB40 headset for contesting, Behringer XM8500 through a UR6QW 8-band EQ for rag chewing. Radio is TS850S.