ad: wmr-1

How do you microphone: handheld, desk, boom, headset

Discussion in 'Microphones, Speakers & Audio Processing' started by N0IOP, Nov 6, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: l-assoc
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

Is it a EV 664 ?

2. N2IIE

N2IIE XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I have a variety of microphones, desk, hand, boom and headset so my answer to the original poster's question is "All of the above" :).

KC8VWM likes this.
  3. KD2ACO

KD2ACO Platinum Subscriber Life Member Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I like the Heil Pro-7 headset and a footswitch. That setup is good for listening, the mic sounds good, it's always in the correct place, and both my hands are free to write and turn knobs.

4. KK4NSF

KK4NSF Ham Member QRZ Page

why, yes. yes it is.

5. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

That's great...my first transceiver was the National NCX-3 and it was the mic I used with that rig and others, very nice mic.

KK4NSF likes this.
  6. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

The E-V 664 was a wonderful mike, but more important to me is "what kind of desk stand" you use it with.

If the stand is tall enough to keep the 664 up where your lips are when seated normally and erect and not leaning over -- done!

Most desk stands are too short, and I don't want to lean over to use them. But the 664 can use a clamp for a boom, and that's nice.:)

KK4NSF and K3XR like this.
  7. K9STH

K9STH Ham Member Volunteer Moderator QRZ Page

At my main operating position, I have a microphone mounted on a "goose-neck" type of boom and a foot switch. Have been using this arrangement for over 40-years. I don't like VOX operation for a number of reasons. Also, I don't usually use headphones. However, when I do use them, they are separate from the microphone.

I do have a headset with microphone attached. But, I just don't like it!

I also use the foot switch for CW operation. It is just faster to go from receive to transmit, and transmit to receive, than relying on the VOX, in the unit, to do the switching.

Glen, K9STH

8. NE1U

NE1U Ham Member QRZ Page

I use a headset mic with a Bluetooth connection. I did this because when on the cordless phone I walk around. BUT, on the radio I don't! I like to watch the water fall so I stay put on my butt. Therefore, I am considering corded headset w/ mic … actually, I do have one but the cord is way too stiff. :( The cordless Bluetooth headset is very nice to be untethered, but a discipline is needed to put on recharge! Some kind of wireless recharge by hanging on a hook or something would be very convenient and gets it up off the desk. Product idea!?

9. KK4NSF

KK4NSF Ham Member QRZ Page

in my view, it's the best ever.... plus it's historical! evkenedy.jpeg

10. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

The old RCA 74B was pretty famous also...
    [​IMG]

KK4NSF and K9ASE like this.