How do I wire a toggle switch for an HF amplifier power supply ?

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Amplifiers' started by KC5SCK, Jun 17, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. AA7QQ

AA7QQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Complete rubbish !!!
    We use a Crock Pot (Electric Kettle) a couple times a week. 1500W of hair dryer works just fine. My toaster will do 4 slices at a time. Many use electric heaters. Any other things to whine about?

Ed

WA7PRC likes this.
  2. VE7DQ

VE7DQ Ham Member QRZ Page

HV AC on the mainland is converted to DC in Delta BC and sent underwater to Vancouver Island. There's a whole lotta of audible HUM generated by that rectifier terminal.

3. W0AAT

W0AAT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

MN had one of the early high voltage DC power lines in the USA. Came from one of the MO River dams and was more efficient than AC. That line had a lot of controversy with towers being blown up etc...

4. G3YRO

G3YRO Ham Member QRZ Page

"Edison developed direct current -- current that runs continually in a single direction, like in a battery or a fuel cell. During the early years of electricity, direct current (shorthanded as DC) was the standard in the U.S.

But there was one problem. Direct current is not easily converted to higher or lower voltages.

Tesla believed that alternating current (or AC) was the solution to this problem. Alternating current reverses direction a certain number of times per second -- 60 in the U.S. -- and can be converted to different voltages relatively easily using a transformer.

Edison, not wanting to lose the royalties he was earning from his direct current patents, began a campaign to discredit alternating current. He spread misinformation saying that alternating current was more dangerous, even going so far as to publicly electrocute stray animals using alternating current to prove his point."

So which do you guys believe is more dangerous when it comes to electrocution, AC or DC?

My personal experience confirms the theory that it's much harder to let go of a given DC voltage than an AC one . . .

Having grabbed hold of 250 - 300V DC a number of times over the years, it hurts a lot more than touching our 240V AC Mains !

Roger G3YRO

Last edited: Jun 23, 2017
  5. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member QRZ Page

...unless you use PWM techniques that were developed decades ago.

6. AF6LJ

AF6LJ Ham Member QRZ Page

This thread is simply amazing. :rolleyes:

AF7XT and WB1E like this.
  7. KD2ACO

KD2ACO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Several biographers of Edison, and some of his peers (detractors at the time) have suggested that he simply didn't understand the utility of AC for power transmission and motive force in motors. He was a DC man...

As for your theory on the merits of DC or AC electrocution, I'll do my best to leave that experiment up to others. :p

Use a 2 pole switch, one pole per line. In this situation, I prefer a 2 pole breaker rated to use as a switch. This gives you decent protection by interrupting both lines if there is a problem on either inside the gear.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2017
    AF6LJ likes this.
  8. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

Intermission.

AC/DC

9. KV6O

KV6O Ham Member QRZ Page

10. K6BSU

K6BSU Ham Member QRZ Page

As late as 1955, direct current was being used in San Francisco. My girl friend at that time was in college dorm there, and her phonograph player needed 60 Hz. I found a matching DC power plug and built an inverter. In my youthful inexperience, I built an inverter using an L-C oscillator at 60 Hz, followed by a push-pull transistor circuit using some high voltage power transistors that I cribbed from a Hi-Fi amp schematic. The output transformer was easy to find: just a 60 Hz power transformer.