How do I wire a toggle switch for an HF amplifier power supply ?

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Amplifiers' started by KC5SCK, Jun 17, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
  1. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

I took one apart to find that the motor runs on DC.

They tap the heating element to get correct voltage and add a rectifier for the motor.

Hollywood may run their hair dryers on 240v.

AF6LJ likes this.
  2. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member QRZ Page

A typical 120V/20A circuit can source 2400VA. Most appliances don't pull more than about half that.

I have my garage/workshop outlets wired with two 120V/20A circuits (fed by a single 20A tandem circuit breaker). I removed the duplex tabs between the top and bottom outlets. I can pull either 2 x 120V/20A or 1 x 240V/20A (4800VA total). At the end of the string, my 5 hp air compressor runs on 240V, and picks L1/L2. Everything else (lights, et cetera) is on separate circuits. Sufficient power (for my needs) is not a concern.

Where more power is needed, North America uses other systems (and voltage levels), including 3-phase up to 480V (208V is VERY common). Very heavy users have even higher voltages available. As is the case elsewhere, we don't have ONE end-user specification.

3. G3YRO

G3YRO Ham Member QRZ Page

Well I have a 3kW fan heater that I can plug into ANY mains socket around the house . .

Even our hairdryer is 2500 watts!
    Actually I'm not . . . my sister has lived in Florida for 30 years.

Plus . . . how is it that in American Films and TV Shows I ALWAYS see people put an old-fashioned kettle on the stove to make a hot drink? People haven't done that over here for 40 years . . . everyone uses Electric Kettles, as they boil in a fraction of the time.

Roger G3YRO

4. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member QRZ Page

What you have works there and what we have works here (see my post immediately before your last post).
    Your sister has my sincere condolences.
    Not everything is as you see in movies.

5. WR2E

WR2E Ham Member QRZ Page

She couldn't stand it anymore and left?

6. AF6LJ

AF6LJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Some of us don't like trolls.

Where was your country when...
    The Triode
    The Transistor
    penicillin
    The Atomic Bomb
    The Microprocessor
    Assembly line factories
    Landing on the Moon
    The Telephone
    The Airplane
    Radio
    Television
    The phonograph
    Magnetic tape
    Were all invented
    Screw this I have better things to do.

Let it be known I self censored what I really wanted to say.
    We already know who is running the world it is not the UK. :p

7. AF6LJ

That is the way they work.
    My Helen of Troy hair dryer works that way.
    The only difference between it and the 49 dollar junk you find at Wal Mart, this one is built like a tank, has thermal protection and had a GFI plug well before it was required by law.
    You can drop it on a ceramic tile floor and it's like nothing ever happened. :)

8. AF6LJ

Roger;
    I am sorry y'all have such inefficient appliances, that they need to draw that much current.
    Our four burner stove doesn't draw that much current with the oven running and two burners.
    Oh well....

9. AF6LJ

Maybe they didn't have the right flavor of tea...

WR2E likes this.
  10. KV6O

KV6O Ham Member QRZ Page

It would have been nice if we had 240 everywhere. But we don't. Yet, despite this crippling handicap, we have somehow perservered. Survived. Even, I dare say, thrived.

I think this is a true American story. Maybe, thru these hardships we have become stronger as a nation.

You can keep your 240V kettles.