How do I wire a toggle switch for an HF amplifier power supply ?

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Amplifiers' started by KC5SCK, Jun 17, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. G3YRO

G3YRO Ham Member QRZ Page

Of course it isn't . . .

But it was only after seeing a documentary a couple of years ago about the Edison vs Tesla DC vs AC Mains battles that I finally realised why the USA chose such a silly low Mains voltage.

Roger G3YRO

2. WR2E

WR2E Ham Member QRZ Page

OK, since you won't drop it.....

You realized wRongly wRoger!
    You came to an incorrect conclusion!
    Your gyro is a bit askew.

Electrification was for LIGHTING ONLY when it was introduced. Everything else came later.

The reason Edison (and it had to be Edison, NOT the USA, that made the decision) chose that low of a voltage was because it was all his light bulbs could handle at the time. It's that simple.

3. KV6O

KV6O Ham Member QRZ Page

It has nothing to do with safety, light bulbs (Edison) were the "killer app" for electrification, and the early ones didn't last long at higher voltages, so Edison settled on 110DC. 110AC worked as well when converting the user base.

My house (an many others) are wired for 240V, and the loads that need it (oven, dryer, well pump, HF amp, etc.) get 240V. Not much of a need for 240V to charge a cell phone, power a TV, light LED lamps, etc. It's really not a big deal.

4. WB1E

WB1E Ham Member QRZ Page

5db3d515bbfc09b2ae4e8918c86529cd.jpg
    Have you ever had the beef Wellington at the Dorchester?

WA7PRC and AF6LJ like this.
  5. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

Next.

50 or 60 cycle.

What hertz more ? How fast can your eyes blink ?

KS4W likes this.
  6. AF6LJ

AF6LJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I have seen the same documentary and it dealt with none of the technical issues.

7. AF6LJ

Yah I know...
    And PAL TV is CRAP, the flicker rate gives me headaches.
    The color might be fine, but that damned flickering drives me up a tree.
    Thank GOD PAL is DEAD.

8. G3YRO

G3YRO Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes but what about all the other things you can't plug into your ordinary Mains sockets around the house?

Like Electric Kettles . . . decent 2kW Hairdryers, Electric Toasters, Electric Fan Heaters, etc etc

Roger G3YRO

9. AF6LJ

We have electric tea kettles that run fine on 120V, I have a 1500W professional hair dryer that works just fine on 120V, who needs 2KW to dry their hair, maybe to set it on fire....
    I think you are quite a bit out of touch with reality regarding life in the US.
    And no Our army doesn't trot around in white outfits with blue coats ether. :p

WR2E and WB1E like this.
  10. G0JUR

G0JUR Ham Member QRZ Page

That was entertaining for 2 minutes thank you all... ;)

WE6C and WR2E like this.