How Do I Get a Better Antenna?

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by VK6FLAB, Dec 7, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KR3DX

KR3DX Subscriber QRZ Page

IF your S-meter is truly showing a RELATIVE difference of 1.5 to 2 S-units between the hexbeam and the dipole and if both antennas are at the same height and are fed correctly, this is impossible because that would be from 9db to 12db difference between them. It is VERY difficult to achieve a true 9db gain over a dipole when both antennas are at the same height above ground. I agree that you are probably seeing very little difference between the monoband yagis and the hexbeam, but there is definitely something wrong somewhere if you hexbeam is showing 9-12db over a dipole. A hexbeam simply does not have anywhere near that much real gain over a dipole.

2. NN2X

NN2X Ham Member QRZ Page

Just an FYI, some S Meters are 3 dB differences in many cases..! Just for fun, if you have a 1,000 Watt, ask another Ham operator to give you a S reading switching between 100 WATT, you will be surprised what you get

So, please that Old S reading is 6dB, went with the greatest generation!), I am sure Collins radio is this way, but for marketing reasons, the S Meter for 6dB, is truly not a play especially around the S6 through S9.. (I wish it was!)

But yes, the Hex Beam, has about 4dB above a dipole, while the 3 Element may have 5 dB, maximum 6dB above a Dipole. (Hence we are seeing my results!)

The simple bottom line, no differences that can be heard, or seen (On the S Meter)...

Cheers

Tom
    NN2X.

3. KR3DX

KR3DX Subscriber QRZ Page

Agreed 100% on the S-meters, Tom. But I still think you're overestimating the gain that those beams have over a dipole. The theoretical maximums are not that high, and the practical real-world values are a bit less than that. I think we agree that the perceived differences are quite small. Hope to work you on the air sometime, 73

4. NN2X

NN2X Ham Member QRZ Page

I will send you an email, I like your web page! (I used to live in Pittsburgh!)

Cheers

NN2X, Tom,

5. WD4DUI

WD4DUI Ham Member QRZ Page

6. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

The easiest and most painless way to pick up basic physics is the 'CARTOON GUIDE TO PHYSICS'. I kid you not.

If anyone wants to watch excellent intro college physics videos, look up Walter Lewin on youtube. I do caution that Lewin was in a #metoo type scandal so its up to you to separate the excellent videos from the flawed person, in deciding to watch these.

7. AJ4GQ

AJ4GQ Ham Member QRZ Page

There you go again, Chip, trying to push a rope uphill :). I agree with you but have a slightly different perspective. Originally there were barriers to entry in an attempt to insure that licensees had the necessary "stuff" to achieve the Part 97 Amateur Radio Service objectives. In my opinion, those barriers have been eliminated and, as a result, many hams today are not MEST oriented . It is not the ham's fault. The necessary knowledge, skills, and technical competence required in the olden days are not required to pass the exams today. The good news is they are the ones that are keeping ham radio alive. Without them, the number of licensees would have shrunk dramatically and, as we old farts die off, ham radio would soon cease to exist. I've seen some posts (not any of yours, of course) denigrating them; we should be thanking them.
    Hart

Last edited: Dec 10, 2018
    WU8Y and W1YW like this.
  8. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

Oh, you mean a human...

9. AJ4GQ

AJ4GQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Maybe not. Here's a little formula often used in the physics of radio.

[​IMG]

W1YW likes this.
  10. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

No, flawed.

This is not a typical everyday case of making a mistake. You can easily find info on the web if you are so inclined.