How Did You Radio Today?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by VK4HAT, Aug 11, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. N3HGB

N3HGB Ham Member QRZ Page

I was down on the boat for lunch and heard a middle school club station on 40 meters calling for states and they got Maryland from me. I tried with no luck to get them to turn down the speech processor, a teenage girl's voice that sounded like echo-chop-voice-echo-chop-voice was barely intelligible. Must have turned everything up to 11.

2. WC5P

WC5P Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I went to a newly opened RADIO Shack store, just to see what they had.

Mostly small consumer electronics stuff, bluetooth speakers, TV cabling stuff, audio cabling stuff, USB cables, etc.

I was surprised to see a boatload of deep cycle batteries, I guess for the solar folks and preppers.

They did have a few cabinets of electronic components, switches, connectors, fuses, knobs, etc. Unfortunately they did not have any 250 volt 20 amp fuses that I could have used, but I was encouraged that the guy at least knew what one was. A refreshing change from the customary blank stare, LOL.

The only actual ham things I saw were a few 2 meter mobile antennas, Tram brand.

In a weird way, I was glad to see them back.

WN1MB likes this.
  3. KK5JY

KK5JY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Tasmania on 20m.

4. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Today? Trying to work VP6R on 20-meter CW. They were awfully weak, and the band was in pretty lousy shape. It looked to be improving...but...I had to go to work then. :(

5. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

Went after VP6R on 15 @ 100 watts. Burnt up a choke in one tuner for my trouble. Went with the stouter tuner, radio is now acting up. Pulled the plug on it. Got things I need to do besides damage all my gear today...

I feel a major redesign of station WZ7U coming on. :(

6. KC3SWL

KC3SWL XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Worked two Italian stations today on the base loaded portable vertical antenna. I was surprised to get 57 to 59 reports on 20 meters. I have also worked the UK and Germany on 40 meters with this set up. I feel the need for a portable op coming soon to a park near me. A TS430 ,the portable antenna , and the RIg Expert for fast tuning plus a car or battery.

7. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Bagged VP6R on 17m and 15m phone.

8. KE9EX

KE9EX Subscriber QRZ Page

Well, I was really mad when work put me on the 5 AM shift, but I knew from past experience that it does have some advantages:

VP6R on 20 CW (new band)
    OX/OZ1LZJ on 160 CW (new band; new distance record on 160)

Both done hours before I used to get home.

WN1MB likes this.
  9. KE0ZU

KE0ZU Ham Member QRZ Page

Got the SX-117 done and off the bench, and I'll start on the NCX-1000 tomorrow.

10. KC3SWL

KC3SWL XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Using this antenna to work radio contest now .. so far good to Manitoba, Slovenia, Switzerland, Antigua/Barbuda, Curacao, Italy, Portugal, France, Canary Islands

Attached Files:

W7TCT likes this.