How Did You Radio Today?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by VK4HAT, Aug 11, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

I envy people who pity people that envy them, but it gets so recursive that apathy takes over and I just don't give a crap anymore :D

Dave
    W7UUU

W4NNF, WZ7U, VK4HAT and 1 other person like this.
  2. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I actually made two phone contacts on 17m today! Deep QSB to both NM and MS but a contact is a contact especially with the low solar activity.

KC8VWM and KK5JY like this.
  3. KK5JY

KK5JY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

17m is one of my all-time favorite bands... lots of digimode QSOs to be had on a typical day.

4. K2XT

K2XT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Today I lowered my 80 meter inverted vee and attempted to raise the frequency where the swr is lowest from 3550 up to around 3750 so I could work phone. It took me four tries. A foot or two off each side doesn't do much.

KK5JY likes this.
  5. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Infinitely better than taking too much off!

KK5JY and K2XT like this.
  6. KK5JY

KK5JY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Today, I mostly worked on a GA for developing a software RTTY demodulator. After just 500 iterations, and maybe an hour of search/experimentation time on a four-core i5 CPU, the demodulator produced by the algorithm was able to decode 170Hz-shift 45bps FSK with greater than 60% correlation with the original keying waveform, so I'm pretty happy with the results so far.

I just moved the processing task to a much faster machine so it could continue working on the problem. I'm very curious to see what performance the first-generation demodulator has, once the GA has reached its search plateau.

Assuming I get something usable out of that step, I'll probably switch to either a different algorithm for refining the result, or switch the individuals to a different signal processing structure altogether, to see if a different structure can do any better. If/when I get that done, I may try some noisy signals (or fading signals) for the test signals, to see how the resulting algorithm's performance and training change.

It's a fun project, given that it's too hot to play outdoors today. :cool:

7. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Well, I was on 20 for the IARU contest this morning. Till darned old Barry killed the power here (it's back now). Is it going to be one of those summers? I dunno, but I think I'm finally going to get around to having a standby generator installed.

8. W2JKT

W2JKT Ham Member QRZ Page

I worked a few stations in the IARU HF Grand Championship of the World.. I didn't log them but I worked enough that my callsign shouldn't be thrown out of their logs as erroneous. Worked barefoot and got 59s on every contact. So, I must be getting out great. (tic)

9. KF5KWO

KF5KWO Ham Member QRZ Page

Some of my radials for my 40m 1/4 wave wire vertical had come loose of the landscaping pins holding them down, and were in disarray. I moved them back in position, but this was after a whole day in the south Texas sun doing landscaping, so it’ll have to wait til next weekend to use more pins.

Thought about my next project: Loop on the Ground receiving antenna.

10. KB2FCV

KB2FCV Ham Member QRZ Page

Had a good day on 6 meters. Worked 2 new countries on that band.. Mauritania and Isle of Man... also a bunch of new grids. Good openings to EU/AF and Midwest today and a little into the Caribbean.

KK5JY likes this.