ad: JimsOnline-1

How Close Would You Like to Live to Another Ham on HF

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by N4UP, Dec 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-assoc
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: l-innov
ad: l-sarc
ad: l-gcopper
ad: L-rfparts
  1. N4UP

N4UP Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

This is not really a technical question, but more a matter of perception. How close ( or how far away ) would you prefer to be from another ham active on HF?

Currently my nearest HF neighbor is 1.2 miles away ( LOS ) and although he has a strong signal on HF there is no problem with us working the same band at the same time.

I'm looking for a new QTH, where I can replace my indoor dipoles with a tower and a much more directional antenna. A month ago, I found a somewhat attractive QTH with a next door neighbor who is active on HF ( thank goodness for the searchable QRZ.com database ). I didn't buy the property for a whole host of reasons, one of which was that I wouldn't feel comfortable being that close to someone who is active on HF.

Now I am considering another, more attractive QTH, and I am mapping every ham QTH within the zip code using MapQuest.

So. If you had a choice, and if you were very active, averaging 30 HF QSOs a day, what would be your preferred minimum distance from another ham active on HF?

Or wouldn't it matter to you?

2. WA6MHZ

WA6MHZ Subscriber QRZ Page

I have found that being close to another ham, no matter HOW GOOD your rig is, means that when he is on with a kilowatt, your rig will be desensed if not blasted. I get blasted by my beacon and it is only 25W. I can remember the days back in the 80s, I had another ham not really that close to me, but I just had to turn the rig off when he was on the air. The rig was rendered completely useless.

Luckily, I am the only active ham up here in Crest, so no problems up here. There are several others licensed but I never hear them on the air. Maybe with a rig like the FT5K, playing with attenuators could reduce the desensing by nearby hams, but most likely not. So I don't mind living near other hams as long as they aren't on the air with a Kilowatt!

3. W5INC

W5INC XML Subscriber QRZ Page

If we are talking about a good looking, single and rich YL who works HF, the closer the better. For the old crummegeons that are on HF, the further the better. :eek:

It would depend on who the OP is of the HF station you are moving close to, when considering proximity to another AR OP. If you moved next door to a open minded, easy to get along with person there wouldn't be a problem. Move close to a idiot that his self centered at best, you might just run into some problems. Good Luck on finding a QTH that works for you. :)

4. N2ADV

N2ADV Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I live within a few miles of 5 or 6 folks active on HF. I have run into several of them on various bands usually in response to a CQ I have sent out on phone. I spend most of my time on CW and Digital modes so I rarely see anyone local there. Other than that, I never even know they are there.

5. AC4BB

AC4BB Ham Member QRZ Page

Sometimes"Would you isn't a choice."

6. AF6LJ

AF6LJ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

If I can walk to that ham's house that ham is too close.

7. N6OIL

N6OIL Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Also watch out for "those" 11 meter folks!

8. N9ZMO

N9ZMO Ham Member QRZ Page

Right now, where I'm loving there are hams about 2 miles from me. There are two of them, one very active. When we move 'Up Nort' as it were, there won't be any within 25 miles.

9. KE3FG

KE3FG Ham Member QRZ Page

Tell me about it! When **ww is on for a contest, about 5 miles from me, fuhgeddabouit.

10. KA4DPO

KA4DPO Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I live less than a mile from another ham who runs a big gun contest station. I have never had any problems whatsoever although I can sometimes hear the AGC thumping during contests. I have tuned him in a couple of times and listened to him with the antenna switch open and I can copy him 40 over on a four foot piece of ladder line.

I wish I had his antennas.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.