How can a Tech reach out 80 miles with voice?

Discussion in 'On-Air Operations - Q&A' started by KE0KDQ, Aug 3, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: l-assoc
ad: Left-3
  1. KE0KDQ

KE0KDQ Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm amalgamating everyone's advice and attempting a second prototype of a 2 M Yagi-Uda. First was 5-element with 50 W, next will be either 5- or 7-element with 100 W. Next up after that will be better feedline :)

I'll keep everyone posted on my progress.

2. K6CLS

K6CLS Ham Member QRZ Page

Excellent! Maybe post a picture or two.

3. AI3V

AI3V Ham Member QRZ Page

4. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

KS doesn't have any real mountains, so terrain is in your favor.

80 miles should be a cakewalk for even 2m FM with 50W and beams on both ends of the path. The trick on 2m is to get the beams high enough above ground that all local clutter is eliminated from the path.

In some cases, 20-30' might be enough; but not if there are tall houses or dense trees in the way at either end of the path. Then, you'd want to get "over the top" of them.

Example: I live at 850' above sea level, but this is actually a valley here. Mountains from 2400' to 3700' are fairly close by, and much bigger mountains in the 4800' - 8000' range are fairly close, but far enough away that they're at about 10 degrees above the horizon, so not so terrible.

I have my 2m beam on an extendable tower so I can change its height above ground from about 67' with the tower extended down to about 32' with the tower retracted.

With the tower extended, I can hear 2m "beacons" from 350 miles away; if I retract the tower I lose almost all of them except the two most local ones in Long Beach (only ~30 miles) and Tehachapi (~65 miles). But crank it up, and the beacons in Mexico and the San Jose area (~130 miles and 350 miles) come banging through.

"Height makes might" on VHF, for sure.:)

5. KB2FCV

KB2FCV Ham Member QRZ Page

I would go 6m. Most modern HF transceivers have 6m as a band. Get yourselves a yagi, a small 3el is plenty to play around with. I would add a TV rotor so you can rotate the antenna and take advantage of openings. Plus if you pick up an HF transceiver you now have a radio you can take full advantage of once you upgrade. I can easily work stations within an 80-100 mile radius or more on a regular basis. E openings open up that distance considerably.

6. KA2RRK

KA2RRK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

With a few thousand bucks, you could just move closer to one another. Then use
    A Bluetooth connection. Pairing optional?

KA2RRK

7. KA2RRK

You did say you wanted to be 10 meters apart right?

KA2RRK

8. KA2RRK

In Kansas you can't keep Yagi type antennas up for long, because of the large
    population of flying Monkeys and the occasional Witch.

If one Yagi doesn't kill enough Monkeys for dinner then two have added capture area to fill the tummy!
    RUMOR HAS IT, EmE has been done with 4 yagis and 100watts @ 2mtr.

2ยข and don't get a calculator out to figure my change. ... _. _

73 GL KA2RRK

KD2LIG likes this.
  9. K8JD

K8JD Ham Member QRZ Page

Today's Tech licensees can operate CW on several segments of the HF spectrum ! Why does it ALWAYS have to be on phone ?

When I was a Teen-aged Novice I built a one tube transmitter for 80M and put up a wire dipole and had no problem working other young novices around MI, OH, and ON in the late afternoons after I got home from school ! Several of them were Novice/Tech license holders BUT we all know Morse and used it.. I got a signal out from local to several hundred miles with about 4 Watts output.

KC7JNJ likes this.
  10. KA2RRK

Because they enjoy watching the waterfall setup in the Shack like. We used to watch lava lamps.

KA2RRK