How about QRZ posting a hi-profile notice to all licensed hams on QRZ?

Discussion in 'Stolen Radios, Scams and Rip-Offs' started by W7GIF, Oct 19, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. N6QIC

N6QIC Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Did you miss direct your message to me?

2. AH7I

AH7I Ham Member QRZ Page

Damage to someone's reputation does not result from someone "jacking" their call sign. It comes from people who call them out in public

Why send money to an unconfirmed email address or send money without talking to a person on the phone?

Last edited: Oct 20, 2017
    N6QIC likes this.
  3. AB3TQ

AB3TQ Subscriber QRZ Page

No misdirection here. You had stated that you did not want to show your email address to to world. Does a crappy FREE account that you never use really fall into that same category? And it can be changed any time you like, without having any effect at all on your daily use email address. From your personal security standpoint, explain how this would hurt you in any way. Right now you do not receive any emails. Putting a disposable email online would put you in a position of ignoring anything you didn't want to interact with. Is that it? I have a thicker skin than to worry about that.

And that 0 bytes info you mentioned. How many users notice that? Make a big red QRZ banner that says this ham has NEVER used this account. Even I wpuld notice that.

4. N6QIC

N6QIC Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Ok well I don't know why you decided to attack me. I was only trying to help the guy and I never directed any post to you. Or are you attacking me for some other reason.

I am not here to argue with you or anyone else. Do as you like but maker sure that you know what you are talking about.

I have lots of free email addresses, but I don't want to get any email messages from people that I don't know. All my friends know how to contact me. And to answer your attack I do have my email address on my page you just didn't look good enough to find it.

Please go attack someone else, I wont try to help or supply information to anyone in this forum any more you can help them with your expertise. To be attacked because someone doesn't display an email address or just because you can't seem to find it is the wrong thing to do.

Have a great day,

KA9JLM likes this.
  5. W9BHI

W9BHI Ham Member QRZ Page

You try to suggest something that may help others to not get hijacked or scammed but some people don't want to hear it,
    Unfortunately you are wasting your time.

6. AJ4GQ

AJ4GQ Ham Member QRZ Page

You're asking someone else to be responsible for your actions. Anyone who posts a 'Wanted' ad here or on any other website is asking to be scammed. Just because QRZ still allows 'Wanted' ads does not mean it is a good idea.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2017
    N6QIC likes this.
  7. KN7S

KN7S Swapmeet Moderator Emeritus Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Precisely! I've had several folks declare an ad as a scam with no proof whatsoever. In all cases they were admonished of what their post has caused the seller and buyers and also found themselves with a multi-week vacation away from the services of QRZ.
    If one truly suspects a scam, the best thing to do is use the Report button at the bottom left of the ad. Your report will not be publicly read. It is available only to Moderators and the QRZ HQ Staff. We will use the tools we have at our disposal to determine whether the ad may be a scam or not.

AH7I and N6QIC like this.
  8. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

Not all hams use QRZ and there is no FCC requirement to do so, In order to be legitimate.

Why would anyone put their email address on a website that they never use ?

WB7OXP, AJ4GQ and N6QIC like this.