How about QRZ posting a hi-profile notice to all licensed hams on QRZ?

Discussion in 'Stolen Radios, Scams and Rip-Offs' started by W7GIF, Oct 19, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Subscribe
  1. W7GIF

W7GIF Ham Member QRZ Page

Just had another attempted scammer go after my $ in response to my "want" post. He passed himself off as k0at with email k0atfred@outlook .com. Couldn't confirm legitimacy of this guy since k0at 's QRZ profile does NOT include his email address. Pic's provided by scammer in response to my request, were "file" pics, and of an item different than that specified in the "want" post.

If legitimate hams care to prevent getting themselves wrapped up in fraud investigations, and prevent damage to reputation as a result of scammers hi-jacking their callsign, updating their QRZ profiles to INCLUDE email address would certainly help.

Can QRZ post a hi-profile "flag" or notice on the main home page ADVISING hams to update their profiles to include email addresses?

k0at: A scammer is using your callsign to defraud other hams. With no email address provided on your QRZ profile, you are at serious risk of getting all tangled up in fraud investigations, and suffering loss of reputation as a result.

W5BIB likes this.
  2. KT1F

KT1F Ham Member QRZ Page

Have any hams actually been the subject of a fraud investigation because someone impersonated them in this way? I know the practice happens all the time but I haven't heard of any innocent person getting "all tangled up in fraud investigations".

N6QIC likes this.
  3. N6QIC

N6QIC Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I don't think you know what you are talking about. Some of us do not want to display our email address to the world.

Just because one doesn't display there email address on there page means nothing. This is only a problem for people that decide to sell or buy/post a wanted add in the swapmeet, or online.

This has nothing to do with anyone else, except for you and the scammer. We all already know that most scammers will use the email address "@outlook.com", a big red flag waving in the wind.

AJ4GQ likes this.
  4. AB3TQ

AB3TQ Subscriber QRZ Page

Why can't you create a crappy FREE email and only use it for stuff like this. Check it occasionally. You are not hurting me by not posting an email. I will not deal with any callsign that does not have something posted. I will never fall for Friends and Family. After one bad experience - I will not send a Money Order again.

But some hams still think the world is trustworthy, and get ripped off. You are one of the QRZ accomplices that won't accept any responsibility for that. It is your choice.

W7GIF and WR2E like this.
  5. W7GIF

Perhaps you overlooked the words "risk of". I have not personally gotten all tangled up in a fraud investigation as a result of a scammer, but I can't speak for the entire ham community, and do not have access to such data that may be available in law enforcement databases. I have on several occasions notified legitimate hams via their QRZ-provided email addresses, whose call signs were used by scammers responding to my classified posts. All were appreciative of those notifications.
    I will not deal with any ham responding to a classified post whose legitimacy cannot be verified or authenticated by direct contact via email address provided by a reputable source...such as QRZ callsign profiles.
    But...to each his own.

6. KT1F

KT1F Ham Member QRZ Page

No I didn't. I was trying to get an idea of what the level of risk really is.

One way to do that might be to think about the number of people holding an amateur radio license who have not posted a publicly visible email address on qrz.com. I don't know what that number is but it is surely in the thousands.

Now consider the number of those who are the target of fraud investigations against them because of the lack of a posted email address. We don't know that number either but unless some evidence comes to light, our best guess is zero.

The ratio of those two numbers suggest the risk is low and not worthy of the being called a "serious risk". That's just an exercise in logical thinking.

N6QIC likes this.
  7. W7GIF

Perhaps you misconstrued my request to "ADVISE" as meaning "MANDATE". "Advise" means to "suggest"...not "force". If you don't want to include your email in your profile, then don't. My suggestion was simply to advise doing so for your own protection.

Responses that I've received from scammers have been from gmail, yahoo, hotmail, and msn accounts. The outlook email account addresses used by scammers is just the latest "flag"...not the only flag. Inability of a buyer or seller to reliably authenticate the credentials or identity of a responding prospective seller or buyer is...in today's climate...very risky.

ADVISE does not mean MANDATE...do as you please. But, please don't whine if your election of inaction in some way results in grief or aggravation caused by a scammer impersonating you by using your callsign without your knowledge or consent.

I didn't create this climate of scamming and fraud. My interest is only in suggesting to fellow hams some measures that just may keep them from becoming victims of, or unknowing participants in that nefarious climate.

8. WG7X

WG7X Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Well, I have never been scammed by anyone on the internet; by the same token I have never bought or sold stuff on the internet.

Coincidence?

N6QIC likes this.
  9. N6QIC

Sorry I didn't really word it right,

The best thing that you can do is to add this important information to your personal bio page. This is your first line of defense against the scammers. Anyone that sees your wanted add is going to look you up, including the scammers.

Please se post #2 in the thread below for an example of information added to a users bio page.
    https://forums.qrz.com/index.php?threads/scammer-using-my-call-sign.582590/

And I agree, for QRZ to demand to display personal information like an email address would be wrong. Only a small portion of the users on the site use the online swap meet. The complaints of being scammed is nothing new here we se it every day and I have seen it for years now.

I have never and will never buy or sell anything online. All the radios that I have ever sold were sold on the local Craigs List and I have never had any trouble. Anything I buy is from a store not online.

Good luck to you,
    73, Lisa

10. N6QIC

One last thing for you to look for.

US call signs are added to the QRZ database automatically by the system from the FCC ULS. Not everyone uses or logs into there QRZ account. Just because they are in the database doesn't mean that they use QRZ.

In the screen shot if you look at the bottom of the page at the "Last Modified" and you se "unknown 0 bytes".
    help1.jpg

This means that he has never logged into his QRZ account. He doesn't use QRZ this is another red flag it is not K0AT that has contacted you, it is a scammer, don't reply to any of the emails.

Again, good luck to you
    73, Lisa

Last edited: Oct 20, 2017