hot fuses, low power..

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by W9WQA, Jun 6, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
  1. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

Maybe the fuses are in backwards. :rolleyes:

Are the fuse holders wire size as big as the wire connected to them ?

A picture is worth a thousand words.

2. K7KBN

K7KBN Ham Member QRZ Page

Maybe the fuses are in backwards.
    [/QUOTE]

If so the fuse won't blow; it'll suck.

SM0GLD and KA9JLM like this.
  3. SM0GLD

SM0GLD Ham Member QRZ Page

I replaced my fuses with this type.
    fuse.jpg

4. AA7EJ

AA7EJ Ham Member QRZ Page

If so the fuse won't blow; it'll suck.[/QUOTE]
    But it it blows - it WAS a good fuse , right?

5. W9WQA

W9WQA Ham Member QRZ Page

here is what i said, to alert others of power problems relating to "power supply/cables. quote me.
    "
    this is a manufactured cord,dont know who did it but it has white fuse holders. may be from a hamfest dealer?
    when i wiggled the cord i noticed the fuses were hot, REAL HOT. my icom experience ,7000,73oo, is that they get funny with the first volt drop.
    these flat spade fuses come loose but i think it goes further. maybe the wire crimp on the female connector is not right,tight. ill do more looking but want to put the word out,low power,check all volt drops. this was about .9 volt"

when i get questions about what i started with i wonder if it was read.
    i can easily find whats wrong when something gets hot.
    just putting this out to alert others of somethingthat may be assumed to be good
    an0ther thread mentioned loose fuses in factory cables. seems like an item to be watched

6. W9WQA

UPDATE, FOUND IT...
    dont know how to post pix but its the connector that grabs the fuse flat spades.
    my pix clearly shows the difference between the icom,good, and the bad "white" ?? connector
    i measured 160 to 300 millivolts on the connector wires on back of connector!! that could be a half volt total at 19 amps, kinda hard to hold probes.
    i checked on the fuse test points and got 20 to 30 millivolt on the fuse itself.
    the good conn looks like a quality "faston" female but the cheepy one is just a bent spring clip with much less grip.

fuses got hot while testing, ITS THE CONTACTS!!

7. W9WQA

more hot fuses. today I found a problem with a premium silver plated twist lock fuse holder that was surplus from military hardware . I added it years ago to the front panel of my Astron 35 amp supply and also a 2x banana jack.

I quit using that jack when I got power drops and used only the back, factory connectors. I had trouble there with rf from a long wire upsetting the Astron regulation.
    today I retested the front and found a half volt drop in that silver plated fuse holder at 18 amps and the fuse was HOT !!

I also retested that power block I mentioned before. it has very tight fuse clips with agc 32v 29 amp fuses and it still drops appx 1/2 volt so im convinced my good old heavy duty stuff is no darn good!

btw the rf problem with the Astron did not show up today ??, I have no idea but im happy if it keeps working. I like the big astron.

so measure and touch fuses.
    my icom black fuse holders are good. the flat spade type.
    where can I buy good quality holders like those?
    they use very tight faston contacts.

8. KE5MC

KE5MC Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I've used various products from this site. Check for ATC/ATO fuse holders a few pages down.

https://powerwerx.com/fuses-circuit-protection

9. W9WQA

10. KE5MC

KE5MC Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Just opened link on iPhone. Google powerwerx, thats taking long path. :)