Hornets nest the size of a Volkswagen beetle reported near elderly couples home.

Discussion in 'ex-Rag Chew Central' started by AC4BB, Jun 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-assoc
ad: l-Waters
ad: l-rl
ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-innov
ad: L-rfparts
  1. AC4BB

AC4BB Ham Member QRZ Page

2. WW7F

WW7F Guest

Bryan, I would wager before the next it dealt with some idiot will try to get all the honey from the Hornet's nest, thinking they are bees or that hornets make honey,LOL:p
    I had a cousin, one Summer our family went back to visit in the Midwest.
    I went over to visit and he was out in back next to a field and was loading his double barrel shotgun , he said he had to get rid of a wasps nest and figured the best way to do it was to blast it with both barrels , it would blow the nest to smitherreens and that would be it, they would go elsewhere and rebuild he told me.
    I know the next thing he did was blast the nest, we both ran in and slammed the door shut and had lots of HORNETS not wasps as my cousin assumed. BTW, this nest was large, not as big s the oen you linked to but about 4 ft by 2 ft, and a LOT of those suckers in that one so I can bet the car sized one has a zillion.
    I would not want to live near that for miles if I was allergic to stings like those,but there are some folks I have known who werre just the opposite and barely reacted to not even as much as a skeeter bite!
  3. N8CPA

N8CPA Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I suppose a pinata party is out of the question.
  4. WF7A

WF7A Subscriber QRZ Page

*laugh* Steve...
  5. K8ERV

K8ERV Ham Member QRZ Page

Sounds like fun to me.

Just hang it in Glen's house.

TOM K8ERV Montrose Colo
  6. N0SYA

N0SYA Ham Member QRZ Page

Kill it with fire!
  7. N8CPA

N8CPA Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I remember a commercial for a power washer some 20 years ago. The theme song was to the tune of 'Greasy, grimy, gopher guts' as the product was used to eliminate various kinds of stains. The last line was, 'Now, I think I'll sock it to a hornets nest...UH-OH!'
  8. N0IU

N0IU Ham Member QRZ Page

But they didn't say if it was one of the old style original Beetles or one of the new post-1997 models?
  9. K9ASE

K9ASE Ham Member QRZ Page

How did they not notice it before it got that large?
  10. G0GQK

G0GQK Ham Member QRZ Page

You need to notify the pest authorities and get them to destroy the nest. A good sized flame thrower like the US marines used on Okinawa Island should do it

Mel G0GQK
  11. N3AB

N3AB Subscriber QRZ Page

12. N9ZMO

N9ZMO XML Subscriber QRZ Page

This should bee a great followup story on how they rid the place of the nest. Could be a honey of a human interest followup.
  13. KB2FCV

KB2FCV Ham Member QRZ Page

A well placed "MOAB" ought to do the trick..
  14. AB8MA

AB8MA Ham Member QRZ Page

I bet that neighborhood is now buzzing with excitement. Definite need for some sort of sting operation here.
  15. WF7A

WF7A Subscriber QRZ Page

There are wasp* nests...

...and then there are WASP nests...

*Vespa means wasp in Italian
  16. WA6MHZ

WA6MHZ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

It COULD be worse!!! It could be a WIDDER nest!
  17. 2E0OZI

2E0OZI Ham Member QRZ Page

The first one found in Oz of the European Wasp (common wasp i think you call them) was about the size of a Mini (olde style). The entrance hole was the size of a basketball, and it was at the edge of a sports field in an area that was very rarely mowed or slashed. Just really overgrown long grass. No reason for anyone to go there. As there is not a serious winter in Oz, the wasps didn't die off each year, so the colony got bigger and bigger. Until the local authority bloke was ordered to slash the area on a tractor and thats when we found we had European Wasps in Australia. He was badly stung, but survived.

Our own native wasps and hornets are big and pretty mean, but they don't live in very big colonies and are hard to rile. Hurts when they sting though. They cant compete with the European Wasps as far as breeding rate.
  18. N2ADV

N2ADV Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Flame thrower oughta take care of that puppy nicely.
  19. KB0TT

KB0TT Ham Member QRZ Page

If you freeze them, they will not be active. They are insects you know.....

Get them cold enough, you can safely take care of business.. Just a thought...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.