ad: ProAudio-1

Honda EU3000i generator and HF Amplfier compatibility

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by WF9Q, Apr 15, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. WF9Q

WF9Q Ham Member QRZ Page

Hello,

I have read the specs on the Honda EU3000i and based upon their claim it should work with an amp that requires 25 amps at 120V. My question is has any one used this generator with a big amp? My experience with our other noise making generator is the specs are not even close and overly "optimistic". The next question is RFI since this an inverter based design?

2. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

I do not own one, but hear that they are good. RFI should not be a problem. You should ground it.

For a amp it would depend on the transformers it uses.

What amp do you plan to run ?

3. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

We've used pretty big amps with the Honda EU3000i for portable contesting and they're remarkable.

Not very heavy, very quiet, no RFI at all, and in the "economy" mode will run for many hours on one tank of gasoline. But for running an amp, the generator would pretty much never be in the economy mode, as it slows down to do that and if you draw much current from it, it ramps back up to full speed again and stays that way until you remove the load for a while. If you're doing much transmitting with an amp, use it in the normal mode to keep it running full speed and no "wait" time for it to speed up when you key down.

Used one with Commander 3CX800A7 amps, zero issues.

KC9BNW and KI5WW like this.
  4. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

I would run it in that mode.

That avoids smoke.

5. W8JX

W8JX Ham Member QRZ Page

I would not throttle it back to low power mode if you plan to use a amp. It will not like being hit with a big load suddenly. When spun up you have some stored energy in form of momentum in generator to help power surge demand. Also that aside if you are really planning to power a amp that can draw 25 amps at 120 volts I would get a bigger generator. I suggest a 5k model and it does not have to be a Honda (which means it will cost a lot less) The reason you want bigger is that it will handle the varying load of amp far better and produce a more stable output voltage and minimal governor cycling on engine. When a generator is taken to make ratings it is reaching it HP limits too and does not like a varying load near limit. They all do better with a steadier load near rated limit. I ran a SB 200 on field day a few years ago with a 3k generator at about 600 watts out and ran rig and a few laptops and few hundred watts of lighting. I figure that SB200 might draw 11 or 12 amps on peaks and you could "hear" it a bit in generator and I would not want to draw more with a amp on that size generator. I have a 5500 watt generator that I power a wiring welder outside with sometimes. It draws close to 20 amps at 120 volts and it has little effect on that generator from no load to load.

6. WF9Q

WF9Q Ham Member QRZ Page

I am not sure on the Amp because both need to work together, rechecked the specs and generator is rated at 23 amps at 120 V. That narrows down the choice of amplifiers because the amp will have to work with a quiet generator. Our 3250 watt Generac Noise maker trips out on the electric power saw!!! and our 6k is fine. Problem is both are so loud it is not even funny........

7. KD0CAC

KD0CAC Ham Member QRZ Page

What about adding some capacitors the surge / delay , like used for starting motors ?
    Or more portable , 2 of the EU2000 with the parallel kit , now you have 4000 watt surge .
    Anybody notice that some yrs. ago they did not BS us on generator ratings - the large numbers / model etc. would indicate the constant current and the small numbers were for he surge , now the larger numbers are surge and finding the constant current is harder to find ;(

8. W8JX

W8JX Ham Member QRZ Page

You need a bigger generator and one running at rated speed. When you throw a modulating load on a generator that is close to its limit it will struggle regulating engine speed.

On power saw, use a longer and/or smaller gauge extension cord with power saw. It will cushion surge a bit and with right combo it will not trip breaker.

9. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

The Hondas are actually very good, and I have one.

They are inverter type but the inverter seems to generate no RFI I can find...they're very quiet both for RFI and also acoustic noise. Until you stand right on top of them, you really can't even hear them.

They've done a terrific job. The EU3000i will run a KW amplifier just fine, we've done it several times and they never skipped a beat...not gasoline hogs, either. One tank will run a light load about 12 hours, or a very heavy load about six hours.

Honda was, and maybe still is, the largest manufacturer of gasoline engines in the world. Remember they make cars, motorcycles, lawn mowers, tractors, trucks, generators...and on and on.

KC9BNW and K5PHW like this.
  10. M0KFO

M0KFO Ham Member QRZ Page

I would agree with what WB2WIK has said, bearing in mind he is speaking from experience. I will admit a slight bias, as I worked for Honda (UK) for 20 years in their Power Equip. Div, mostly as an area sales manager.

Going through the comments in order. The specs are decent on a Honda, you will have the peak power which usually corresponds to the model number, which from memory, is given for a 20 minute period and then you have the rated output, which is generally about 10% less. It will produce these figures. The inverter range is designed for exactly this sort of work, where stability, output, sine wave, non RFI etc. is important. That is what you are paying a premium for, along with brand reliability and a decent back up network with parts availability.

I would not attempt to ground it, as Honda use double insulated with floating earth. You will have to first, tie the earth to ground if you want to do that. But first, ask yourself why Honda did it that way, to save pennies or because they felt that was safest and they have a brand to protect, and a large company to sue if things go wrong.

As has been said, if you're going to be using the amp a lot, use normal mode, although the generator is electronically governed not mechanically, so it is designed to cope with that. You can buy bigger generators at more cost, but there is a reason you buy the Honda, the spec meets your requirements and you're not running power tools on it.

If the amp is within the Honda's rated load, it will be fine. It is when people buy the cheaper range, such as the EG3000,EB/EM3000 etc. that are made for power tool use and aren't electronically controlled (although I think the EM range was capacitor/condenser controlled) and the output is not suited to electronic equipment, that they run into trouble.

KC9BNW likes this.