Homemade OPC581 remote cable

Discussion in 'Homebrew and Kit Projects' started by W1RDS, Mar 9, 2015.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-rfparts
ad: Subscribe
  1. KE8CPD

KE8CPD XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Its a slow go, i am having issues figuring out how to 3d print the part small enough to fit into the head. But i have another idea to try but after that it should be a breeze to finish up.

2. N1JPA

N1JPA Ham Member QRZ Page

I think if you just print it solid (as in no holes for the pins) and then temporarily piece the two halves together (I'm assuming you're doing it like a clamshell assembly) and drill holes for the pins then that'd work. It's more work but it'd probably have better results than trying to print the channels for the pins. Alternatively make it a three piece design, two halves of a clamshell that wrap around the part the pins go in, then you might be able to print the holes by printing the part the pins go in vertically?

I'm just throwing ideas out there, I haven't 3d printed a thing in my life.

3. KF7WTX

KF7WTX Ham Member QRZ Page

I am also looking for a cable so will be following.

4. VK8ZZ

VK8ZZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi all,
    Yes the OP{C-581 cable is in very short supply. I cannot understand why they stopped manufacturing it or the chinese have not picked it up and copied it.

Keen to follow KE8CPD with the possibility of home brew/3d designe, keep us in the loop
    cheers Peter
    VK8ZZ

5. KM4BOF

KM4BOF Ham Member QRZ Page

I have access to a 3D printer myself. I've had pretty good success building and designing small parts with mine, car and radio included. Think you'd be interested in releasing your designs once finished? I have some CAD files for a rough but working mounting plate for the 706 control head. It would be pretty awesome to work the separation cable connector into the design

6. KE8CPD

Sorry guys for the slow development, last two months i've had to move the QTH and we had a ton of stuff. But i will be getting back on the band wagon here shortly hihi.

Yes i am a firm believer in open source so i will be releasing the models hopefully soon.

7. KE8GLY

KE8GLY Ham Member QRZ Page

Requesting updates on cloning of OPC 581 Separation Cables from KE8CPD or KM4BOF. You guys seem to be in the know on this and I'm looking for a cable.

8. KM6JZN

KM6JZN Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm also interested!!!

9. KK6KFB

KK6KFB Ham Member QRZ Page

KE8CPD, any luck on the 706MKIIG cables?

If you end up with a working model, I'd love to send some cash your way for one.

KK6KFB

10. KE8CPD

I don't quite have a working model yet, the connection that attaches to the head is giving me the most grief. Honestly it has me stumped a little bit....