Homemade OPC581 remote cable

Discussion in 'Homebrew and Kit Projects' started by W1RDS, Mar 9, 2015.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: l-gcopper
ad: L-rfparts
ad: l-assoc
ad: Subscribe
  1. N5WPG

N5WPG Ham Member QRZ Page

Hello all,

I would also like to remotely mount my IC-706MKIIG. I tried to "temporarily" set the radio on my dash with less-than-optimum results. Separation cables, when available on eBay, are now running $150+. Crazy! Well, if I break down and buy one, I will et back with you all on this and maybe we can share the costs and clone the connectors.

2. N5WPG

Hello All,

I too, am in the market for a separation cable for my 706.
    I found a link to be interesting reading on this subject although it might not help us too much in a successful replacement to those expensive, price gouging eBay sellers with OPC-581 separation cables going for upwards of $150.00 each!
    http://www.k0bg.com/cabling.html

I hope this helps a little if only to keep us from spending a lot of time and money with mistakes in the DIY of this cable.

3. N5WPG

A photo of the connector we need to to make our own remote cable.
    20160103_135829.jpg

4. W9GB

W9GB Ham Member QRZ Page

Proprietary connectors, by various manufacturers, can be a real nightmare.
    Icom has a tendancy to take this approach (IC-207 FM transceiver) and then offer no options fir radio owners. I avoid (do not buy) radios with proprietary connectors and siftware/programming schemes.

Larry Berg (sk, 2012) in Murphy, Oregon created pFranc connectors (1996) for the Garmin GPS receivers. The project was successful (62 countries) with many Garmin owners using his pPlug and ePlug connectors. Rob Smeets, in the Netherlands, was one of this European distributors/consultants.
    http://www.pfranc.be
    He discussed expanding to other connector types, but passed three years ago.
    http://forums.qrz.com/index.php?threads/larry-berg-of-purple-computing-sk.363559/
    image.jpeg image.jpeg
    It is a matter of passion, will, time, and skill (or money to contract the skill, if not available).

Last edited: Jan 3, 2016
  5. ZONIE

ZONIE QRZ Member

Hi folks. I'm new here, first post. Studying for my License. I, too was thinking there has to be an aftermarket solution but there is not. I got my 706 from a buddy who was just too lazy to remove the cable (that I Installed) from his Tahoe when he traded it in. If we only knew. If he just cut the darn ends off...

If someone were to make a 3d Printed connector body, I'd be interested. Not really wanting to hack this virgin radio, but the RJ45 option is doable.

6. W6SJP

W6SJP Ham Member QRZ Page

G0KVL and PY5CL like this.
  7. VE1DAY

VE1DAY Ham Member QRZ Page

I briefly looked into this a couple of years ago but from memory I couldn't find anything with the right pin pitch. I know that I could just buy the bare pins but at the time I ran into a roadblock finding standard pins that have a small enough diameter for the pin to pin separation.

Has anyone made any progress with fabricating a cable/adapter?

8. ON3NAD

ON3NAD QRZ Member

any more news in this? recently aquired the ic706 mk2G and would be handy to have a seperation cable for it.