ad: ProAudio-1

Homebrewing a lightweight 576wh portable solar generator

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by OH8STN, Feb 18, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
  1. OH8STN

OH8STN Ham Member QRZ Page

Background and build notes:

AE6SS, W1YW, YO3FLM and 9 others like this.
  2. WB8LBZ/SK2023

WB8LBZ/SK2023 Ham Member QRZ Page

Very instructive.

73, Larry WB8LBZ
    El Paso, TX

OH8STN and K8XG like this.
  3. K8XG

K8XG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Very Nice :)
    I have a similar one with a 32AH Li-Iron battery in an 30cal plastic ammo box with Anderson-Pole strip , and another large plastic dry ammo box with 2 18AH AGMs for a wheel chair.

I have a very nice fold up military camo 80watt solar bank using the high tech mil cells. I quit using the round led volt meters and USB ports however, I had one fail without me knowing it and drained the battery. I think its due to the quality issue on those round plug marine power meters for sale from China.

4. W8JBM

W8JBM Ham Member QRZ Page

Outstanding presentation sir; certainly earning a sub and now in the rotation of must watch channels. 73 and keep up to good work.

OH8STN and K8XG like this.
  5. KC9ZKM

KC9ZKM Ham Member QRZ Page

Very fine business, OH8STN. Outstanding!

OH8STN likes this.
  6. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

Ya think?

A Chinese marine vessel is called a "junk". So it would stand to reason that a junk's Chinese marine power meters are junk.

W4EO and NN6EE like this.
  7. PP8DA

PP8DA Ham Member QRZ Page

Outstanding!

OH8STN likes this.
  8. NN6EE

NN6EE Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

For our setup here in the Ham Shack I've got (1) "KYOCERA 140W" panel, a voltage/current controller, a bank of (2) 140AH marine batteries in parallel (AGMs) and a voltage display for the RAW DC coming in from the panels, and also a display of the DC voltage coming from the batteries to a "ANDERSON 6 POLE distribution strip (6) to power our ELECRAFT K3s a few lights and a ceiling fan!!! Sure, it's not a HUGE LOAD but it gives ME THE SATISFACTION of thumbing our nose @ our local utility company known as "PG&E" :)

PS, I can run what I do use as explained earlier 24/7, that's the beauty of "SOLAR" IF DONE RIGHT!!!

OH8STN likes this.
  9. K4ECD

K4ECD Ham Member QRZ Page

Julian has been the best thing to portable radio TECH for sometime. Especially off grid lower power for TX and ancillary tech. I've been a big fan like 1000s others

Having seen this recent video, I am convinced he should follow the path of Bud W3FF (Buddipole) and not only offer DIY plans, but full retail builds of his R&D efforts. The time has come for him to spec out his R&D and launch an all-in-one board + kit with premium cells!

Julian: Set up a gofundme for your own all in one Solar charge controller with all the toys:

• Lifepo4 4s & SLA charge outputs at constant voltage (that can also charge say the Bioenno)
    • Bluetooth/WIFI interface (see Pi HAT type)
    • 3 USB
    • 8 Powerpole (2 at 30AMP, 2 at 15, 4 at 10) ...
    • A large LCD (but low power draw)that displays:
      • stnPower (your own unique HAM algorithm that calculates battery power remaining based on your avg (10 minute) load consumption, that factors into consideration TX MODE not just the traditional "voltage remaining crap" )
      • AMP, Volts, Watts etc
      • Peak, history, max, etc.
      • run time. run time in idle, runtime over x amps (great for debuging performance)
    • Software upgrade via web
    • ok, i will stop now!

Go all like the DRAWS HAT and make a version for the PI ... the 2nd HAT layer for HAMS!!

Bravo! Always the most professional. Always making me proud to be in a hobby that has people like him.....

W4EO, K7JCL and K8XG like this.
  10. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Ham Member QRZ Page

Bluetooth on a battery... That's one of my favorite parts of the video. Gee, what will they think of next ?

Looks like I no longer need to carry around my Tenergy power analyzer anymore because Bluetooth makes it obsolete !! lol :)

ft-817 current draw.jpg

K8XG likes this.
  11. WA7F

WA7F Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I have to agree with OH8STN that there are better options than 30A Powerpoles connectors. The bigger Powerpoles (60A and up) are pretty solid but I’m not impressed these little 30A Powerpoles.

OH8STN likes this.
  12. KM6CND

KM6CND Ham Member QRZ Page

My "Front Porch" shack is an FT-991 powered by 4, 50 watt solar panels, each pair is hinged together, charging 4, 7.5 amp batteries. I can have it operational in 5 min with a Mag Loop and 20 watts.

13. WA7F

WA7F Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I’d like to find some good roll up or fold up panels to get 150 - 200W. Charging 12V AGM and LiFePO4 depending on what I’m doing. Any suggestions?

14. W0PV

W0PV Ham Member QRZ Page

What's that fav radio station again @ 43:33? o_O:D

Nice presentation as usual, 73, John, WØPV

15. N7AWM

N7AWM Ham Member QRZ Page

I never saw the link to the Parts List. Can anybody post it? Mainly looking for what he used for the monitoring system.
    Thanks. Allen