Home Brew 4:1 Air Core Balun...

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by W4INF, Apr 22, 2008.

?

Do you think you will build one from the plans?

Poll closed May 22, 2008.
  1. Yes, sounds interesting and I need one

11 vote(s)
    84.6%
  2. No, but I thank you for the work

2 vote(s)
    15.4%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
  1. W4INF

W4INF Ham Member QRZ Page

2. N2RJ

N2RJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I think I might actually build one.

Thanks.

3. EI8DRB

EI8DRB Ham Member QRZ Page

Ah, I assumed that you were using RSS to pull the articles off QRZ

4. N6YG

N6YG Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi Andrew;

Nice job, I have built something similar. Yours looks like a cleaner version of this design

Unfortunately Twin lead baluns are far from optimal and have some serious issues.

You might be interested in reading Jim Browns K9YC Paper on Understanding Common Mode and Differential Mode Currents on Transmission Lines.
    He goes into great detail about the drawbacks and issues with the common twinlead / bifilar balun.

Edit----------------------------
    I just saw your web page with detailed step by step instructions. Great job I just forwarded it to my son. He's already in my shop scrounging parts.

These are a bit more complex, COAX BALUNS

N6YG

Last edited: Apr 23, 2008
  5. KR2D

KR2D Ham Member QRZ Page

Good build and nicely done tutorial, Andrew! I don't have need of a 4:1 voltage balun at the moment, but I have bookmarked your tutorial in case of future need.

6. W4INF

W4INF Ham Member QRZ Page

N6YG
    That "ugly balun" page was one that gave me inspiration. And sure enough, its UGLY! HA HA! It really doesnt matter how it looks, as long as it does the job well!

Ill also be reading that transline page too, you got me interested! TU for the link OM!

N2JSO
    TU Sir, I wanted to share what little knowledge I come across, the intent of my site, I hope in the spirit of Ham Radio. Kind words, which encourage me to do more.

I know many of my articles are simple... but so am I. :eek: We have to recognize there are operators of all different levels and abilities... I am still learning, and someone that was once in my foot steps will benefit from what I can pass on, or I hope so.

Andrew

7. W5WPL

W5WPL Ham Member QRZ Page

Building one now. How do I check it before operation?
    I assume I can use this on a New Windom.
    W5WPL

8. K4AX

K4AX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

You need to use a current balun on a Windom, otherwise you may get a lot of RFI in the shack from the current coming down the outside of the feedline.

9. K8JD

K8JD Ham Member QRZ Page

Balun>?

Don't use or one with the antennas I build here.

10. K4KYV

K4KYV Subscriber QRZ Page

I get a chuckle when I hear someone over the air say that his antenna is a "homebrew dipole".

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.