Hole Ova Da Pole?

Discussion in 'The DX Zone' started by KE0EYJ, Jun 13, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: l-assoc
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. KE0EYJ

KE0EYJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I am in Seoul, Korea as HL1ZIX.

Could someone explain what's happening when I am able to work better directly over the pole than direct shortpath bearing?

Another instance, today when I had my moxon turned just off of 0 degrees (actually, I was about 350 degrees), and was able to work a station in Minnesota, and another in Illinois, on 20m. My correct path to this area should be 25 degrees. The moxon throws a pretty wide path, but am thinking my signal may have been bent somewhat over the pole, because even with a 110 degree path with the moxon, I was flirting with the far reaches of the moxon.

Is there a polar condition which causes this?

Thanks,
    HL1ZIX/ KE0EYJ

upload_2018-6-13_22-43-13.png

Attached Files:

2. K7GQ

K7GQ Subscriber QRZ Page

Nah ... this is normal for most any amateur HF directional antenna. None I'm familiar with have such a narrow beam width that you'd notice. Even my 3EL Steppir has something like 40-45 degrees beam width for the 3db points. With those same band conditions, you could probably point at 45 and still work Minnesota.

WA7PRC likes this.
  3. K2HAT

K2HAT QRZ Volunteer Volunteer DX Helper QRZ Page

From W1AW I point the antenna East and work Brazil which is South.....

Point the antenna to where the signal is strong, who cares where the pointer shows. :)

4. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member QRZ Page

^ ^ ^ THIS ^ ^ ^
    For most unidirectional antennas with modest gain, it ain't that critical. The higher the gain, the more critical the aiming. I once worked with μWave (f ≥ 2 GHz) TELCO gear that used 30 dB gain dishes. In that case, aiming mattered. :)