ad: FlagAnt-1

HobbyPCB RS-HFIQ 5 Watt HF SDR Transceiver

Discussion in 'Software Defined Radio (SDR)' started by AB2YC, Apr 9, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. AB2YC

AB2YC Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I recently got a HobbyPCB RS-HFIQ Transceiver & RS-HFIQ Enclosure.
    I connected with a a Behringer U-PHORIA UMC202HD USB audio interface.
    Note: It should work with just about any sound card I just used the UMC202HD since it will do 192k.

Specifications
    • Frequency Range - 3-30MHz (performance guaranteed on 80/60/40/30/20/17/15/12/10M ham bands)
    • Sensitivity - MDS < -128 dBm on 80M dropping to < -135 on 10M (depending on processing bandwidth and sound card performance)
    • Noise Figure -
    • TX Power 5W typical, 4W minimum
    • LO Feed-thru < -50 dBc @ 5W output
    • Spurious and Harmonics < -50 dBc typical
    • DC Power 13.8VDC, 2 amp max plus USB power for the Arduino Nano
    • Size - 100MM x 160MM
    All in all it's a nice little radio and the price was pretty good at $239 for the radio and $40 for the enclosure.
    I have built a few soft rock receivers and while their transceivers looked interesting they only covered a few
    bands at about 1 watt. So this one was a nice step up and gave me more of what I wanted wit 80-10 at 5 watts.

It will also connect to my Hardrock-50 Amplifier and the amp will follow the band switching automatically.

I'm just passing the info along for those who may be looking for something like this.

W6POT and N1OOQ like this.
  2. AB2YC

I made a mistake in my original Post

I'm using the Behringer UMC204HD not the UCM202HD I originally listed.
    They are very similar but the UMC204HD has a few more features.

3. N8OHU

N8OHU Ham Member QRZ Page

Nice. Thanks for the link to the audio interface you used. Now for a source of cables.

4. AB2YC

I used some 1/8" Stereo to RCA cables and some RCA to 1/4" plug adapters that I already have.

But since I'm using the UMC204 I ordered some stereo 1/4" plugto RCA jacks adapters
    so I can use the "Inserts" jacks on the rear instead of the input jacks on the front.
    Only doing that so all the cables come out the rear of the unit (I'm not sure if I'll keep it that way).

Last edited: Apr 11, 2019
  5. W4HIJ

W4HIJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I have one of these. I got it as my budget entry back into the hobby. I also have one of the original HBC amps that was the forerunner of the Hardrock50. I don't have much disposable income right now and I thought I was out of radio for awhile except for maybe playing with a few cheap QRP rigs. The RS-HFIQ is a lot of bang for the buck. I just wish we had a little more variety in SDR software choices but I can't complain. HDSDR is serviceable.

W6POT likes this.
  6. AB2YC

HDSDR actually works quite well, and the price is nice (free).