ad: QuirkyQRP-1

HOA's Take Aim at Our Hobby!

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by WA2SQQ, Aug 14, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
  1. K4JDH

K4JDH Ham Member QRZ Page

Then what everyone has been saying about all the unhappy homeowners is just what I thought, BS!
    Pretty transparent, isn't it?

2. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

The deed restrictions (CC&Rs) will dictate exactly how that can be done, and it often is very, very difficult. See post #416, above.

N5PZJ likes this.
  3. N5PZJ

N5PZJ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Not BS, I deal with HOAs as a Louisiana Notary ( pretty extensive powers in Louisiana) and over half at a meeting will be in favor of a rule change, but the supermajority which in one case takes 80% to change will bring up fights!! HOAs need regulation and laws to stop run away behavior and stupid fights over Real BS!!! Unhappy homeowners are more widespread than you know.

HOA shills are out in force!

AD0JM likes this.
  4. K1VSK

K1VSK Ham Member QRZ Page

they don't like the answer...

but it does serve a purpose repeating it. The answers, unresponsive as they are, are entertaining and serve as fodder when talking to my Congressman and Senators.

5. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Ham Member QRZ Page

Regarding the fights, that's just it though.

Sometimes people just want something to disagree and argue with others about. Whether they actually agree with the subject matter or not, doesn't matter. They like the attention it brings them.

They just want to be right and win some kind of prize, no matter what and regardless of all facts, or even logic.

They're not just at these HOA meetings, some of those people are right here in this forum!

N5PZJ likes this.
  6. AC7DX

AC7DX Guest

I really doubt that there are that many Hams in USA HOA's..come on now..thats ridiculous

7. KC8VWM

You have to admit, the potential negative impact this Antenna Bill will have in HOA's is pretty darn insignificant.

8. K5ATG

K5ATG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Just who gets to decide what is within reason?
    Having a tower that is tall enough to take out three houses when it falls to me is not within reason. Having a 100 foot tower may be nice but it is not really necessary for communications using the ham bands. many people experiment with rain gutters, flag poles, fences and anything that they can think of. Its part of the challenge of ham radio experimenting. Back in the day before everything was plug and play people made do with what they had. Now if you say something like that to people they act like you just punched their mother. The majority of ham radio operators do not have the ability of having huge towers in their back yards, they make world wide contacts with just 2 wires in a tree. So if you really need a 70 foot tower in a cul-de-sac, what are you over compensating for?

W3ZGC likes this.
  9. WJ4U

WJ4U Subscriber QRZ Page

>>Having a tower that is tall enough to take out three houses when it falls to me is not within reason.

More hysteria. Have you even seen a tower take out three houses, or even a single house?
    There was a recent collapse of a huge tower, bigger than any US amateur would have, and it didn't even damage the radio shack next to it.

10. WB2WIK

Correct.

And AC7DX isn't good at math.

I never wrote 700K hams are in HOAs. I wrote that the percentage in HOAs is likely about the same as the percentage of hams in the general population, which is 700K out of 300M, or about two-tenths of 1%.

But it's surely true the Bill would have almost zero impact on anyone except the hams themselves who might enjoy an outdoor antenna as opposed to not having one.

N5PZJ likes this.
  11. W4PG

W4PG QRZ Lifetime Member #279 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

No one is saying it is. But by the same token, having NO right to put up a simple dipole or small vertical is not within reason. What are the folks who demand the right to tell everyone else how to run their property compensating for??

I was playing tennis once with a retired fellow who was on the board of his condo HOA. He told me, "Bob, I just love to get in other people's <crap> (not the word he used). I'm retired and have nothing to do so I go around looking for folks who are breaking our rules." That's pretty much my experience with HOAs. They let folks with little else to do in life exert their control over others, giving them some reason to live.

That's a generalization I admit, but it's spot on in my experience.

.............Bob

N5PZJ likes this.
  12. KC8VWM

That "interpretation" of whatever antenna is installed, is to be decided between the ham and the HOA. It's not up to people who don't live in the HOA who have nothing to do with the individual ham/HOA relationship to decide what that might, or should be exactly.

Every situation is unique and different. What works in one HOA, may not work in another and vice versa.

Please realize the passage of this bill isn't a license to put up whatever you like. HOAs will still maintain a level of authority, of how, and where, antennas are installed in their respective developments. They just can't outright say 'no antennas" that's all.

The bill allows them to hash it out between one another. Whatever antenna they mutually agree with wins.

Why not let them do this?

Last edited: Aug 19, 2015
    N5PZJ likes this.
  13. WB2WIK

Same as PRB-1 pertaining to municipal ordinances and ham antennas. That worked and nobody got hurt.

Well, a couple hams may have been bruised while installing their new antennas.

N5PZJ and KC8VWM like this.
  14. K4JDH

K4JDH Ham Member QRZ Page

Do you know Jase? He lives near you. He tangled with his HOA. Here is the video.
    http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...&mid=40AB4D9916150191804B40AB4D9916150191804B

15. N5PZJ

N5PZJ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

1. That is North Louisiana, West Monroe to be exact. I live in South Louisiana, un place qui parlez français et passez un bon temps!

2. Duxieme, je pas conicité Monsieur Robertson, no I don't know Jase.

3. I have been to enough HOA catastrophes, I speak from experience!

Last edited: Aug 20, 2015
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.