ad: SteppIR-1

HOA & Amateur Radio

Discussion in 'Discussions, Opinions & Editorials' started by W6ONV, Aug 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-assoc
ad: l-innov
ad: l-gcopper
ad: L-rfparts
ad: l-rl
ad: l-Waters
  1. W6ONV

W6ONV Ham Member QRZ Page

I have been fortunate enough to receive an exemption from the HOA and management company who oversees are development. Since the original exemption of a Hustler 6BTV, I have upgraded to a SteppIR BigIR and a 5-band hex beam at 30' (max currently).

I received my monthly mailer informing me about the upcoming HOA meeting, which takes place each month. There was a notice that two board positions are currently open. Would you run for one of these positions? Do you think it would be be beneficial or potentially be more of a conflict? Of course my motives are purely my own for my hobby.

What would you do?

*edit* Yeah, I know the first thing you wouldn't do, move into an HOA controlled home, overlook that fact for a moment.
  2. WA4OTD

WA4OTD XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Run, you should do this for the neighborhood anyway but at least can diffuse any possible issue before to much momentum gets behind it.
  3. K7JBQ

K7JBQ Moderator QRZ Page

"If you live in a town run by a committee, be on the committee." -- Mark Twain.

4. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

"I wouldn't be a member of any organization that would have me as a member."

But seriously, when I lived in an HOA back in '88-'89 and wanted them to not only ditch the by-laws but shelve the covenants altogether as an experiment (which worked out very well -- AFAIK, they never paid any attention to them again in the following 21 years), I not only "ran" for the Board, I ran for president of the Board.

Absolutely nobody there knew me, since we just moved in, but the elections were the following month and this was an unpaid position (quite key) which was work for no profit, so it's not exactly an "in demand" job.

I took my daughter and walked the complex a few nights, ringing every doorbell and introducing myself. "I'm your new neighbor Steve, and I'd like your vote for HOA president."

A month later, I got elected.:p

The incumbent in this case didn't even run -- he was a busy accountant and the HOA responsibilities were interfering with his job, so he backed off.

I'd say go for it, and better still, take the damned thing over if you can.:)
  5. W6ONV

Steve, I remember you telling me your experiences. I will have to see just how much time I have, but I am sure it would not require too much effort to "win" a seat on the board.

Also, I don't expect any issues down the line with the antennas, but you never know. Maybe a disgruntled person who has it in for the HOA and ends up complaining about the "unsightly" antennas. I will look into this further.
  6. K7MH

K7MH Ham Member QRZ Page

Go for it if you are inclined to!
    Don't just take it to the system, BE the system!!:)
  7. N8CPA

N8CPA Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Go for it. Win one for the SteppIR.
  8. K9LJH

K9LJH Ham Member QRZ Page

Just wondering if any of the folks telling you to run have ever been on one of those boards.

I was President of a small condo board (about 400 units) for a few years in the mid 70's. Everyone thought that meant I was the janitor and would personally shovel their cars out of their spaces in a winter storm.

That cured me.
  9. W6ONV

WIK has had previous experience from our exchanges. I am just thinking back to the meetings I attended and how pissed off owners were, to the point of being belligerent at the meetings when discussing their reasons for being there. So while my motives maybe be good for me and me only, not sure I want to hear problems of others when nearly everyone in this association is in violation of something, including me.
  10. WB2WIK

It's "work," for sure, and in my case (and many), these are unpaid positions. We were compensated for actual out-of-pocket costs, if we had any (not much) but there was no salary or anything, so after serving "one term" you'd wonder why anyone would want to do this again!

Listening to complaints is part of the process. We had procedures for this, including asking complainants to put them in writing, and we had forms for that. Asking people to document their complaints eliminates about half of them, I found.;)

We also constantly asked for volunteers to do work around the common grounds, thus saving the HOA money and preventing future fee increases. It's amazing how many people stop complaining when they grasp that they won't personally be responsible making anything better.

It's a good job for a retiree with a lot of time on his hands.:p
  11. NN4RH

NN4RH Subscriber QRZ Page

My experience has been very similar.

Our neighborhood (dates to the 1960s) has a purely voluntary "civic association", not a full-fledged HOA. But still there was a clique that came in about 2001, bum-rushed the annual meeting and got themselves elected. Then they tried to use the association as if it were an HOA. They had plans to "inspect" the neighborhood for "violations" to "enforce", including going into people's back yards and so forth. Real serious 'yard nazi' stuff.

I was able to shoot all that down by showing up at their meetings prepared with "points of order" about what the association was and was not allowed to do according to it's bylaws, articles of incorporation and the neighborhood restrictions. None of their plans went through.

The next election cycle, some of the old-timers in the neighborhood asked me to run for president to keep the "inspectors" out of it. I was president for two years that time. During that time I pushed and got some Bylaws changes that effectively prevents any future "inspectors" from using the association to run roughshod over the neighborhood; including, similarly to Steve's situation, requirements that complaints and board decisions be documented.

So, very much like Steve, I found that once you remove anonymity, most people lose interest in complaining or pushing people around.

I've been President on and off for the past 8 years. Never actually wanted to be but nobody else wants the job now and I keep getting asked to come back. In fact, the last time I was reelected I flat out told the members at the election meeting that if elected, I intended to do absolutely nothing for my entire two year term. I won unanimously!

And I kept my promise. I did nothing at all. And it turns out that the neighborhood functions just fine that way. Instead of calling up the civic association officers to whine about their neighbors, people eventually figured out ways to work things out themselves or just learned to tolerate each other. On the rare occassions when there is a serious problem, people take responsibility themselves to file complaints with the county zoning department or police.
  12. WB2WIK

That is the best job anybody can have!:)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.